wandering anemone question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
just received a bubble tip anemone (got quite a deal on it), and since it's been in the tank it hasn't stopped moving.

i've read about them moving upwards towards the light because there wasn't enough, but mine has been moving further down and into darker parts of caves of live rock.

is this normal? will it just settle over time? i guess it wont move somewhere where it wont get enough light right?

thanks for your input.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It could be any number of potential factors, including wrong substrate (such as absence of an appropriate "hole" in the rock), insufficient or too much light (the latter especially for bleached specimens), incorrect water flow (too much, too little, wrong orientation, etc.), and insufficient feeding. Could you provide a picture of your anemone? That may provide clues as to why it is moving.

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
well it seems to have found a spot

it looks pretty well open and the bubbled tips are all inflated

guess it just needed some time to wander around

heres pics....

1017072151.jpg 1017072151a.jpg 1017072151b.jpg

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Very bleached.. I would suspect that it is going to move some more once it gets used to your system. Hopefully you'll be able to rescue it and it will get some color back into its body.

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
Very bleached.. I would suspect that it is going to move some more once it gets used to your system. Hopefully you'll be able to rescue it and it will get some color back into its body.
anything special I should do to help my odds with this one?
i.e. feeding, more frequent water changes??

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Agreed.. Also by tomorrow I'd be making sure that it is eating if not today. Since it is bleached and its Zooxanthellae needs to redevelop its going to need food to keep it going until they regenerate. I would try to feed it a minimum of once to twice a week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store