Questions about water and stocking a 29g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
I've owned FW tanks for years now and I just got my 1st SW tank about a week ago. Someone gave it to me. It's a 29g tall tank with a simple hob filter, a glass heater, and a standard 10,000k fluorescent light bulb. It has already been cycled and came with two fish and a crab. One fish was a 4" yellow tang and the other seemed to be a 6" bi-color dotty, the crab is unknown. Unfortunately both fish died the day after I set the tank back up. It was a horrible scene when I woke up to see the crab feasting on the fish like it was an all you can eat buffet. He had completely ate the 6" dotty and had just left the head.:nilly: I'm guessing they died because of the lack of water movement or surface agitation. When my dad brought me the tank, he threw away about half the water so there wasn't enough water to get the filter going again. I was going to buy some water or sea salt that day but I was to late.

Since I will no longer need a 100+ gallon tank for the yellow tang, I have decided to buy some smaller fish that won't need a bigger tank when fully grown. I plan to start off with a FO tank then move up to FOWLR and then eventually to a reef system.
I want to get:
2x Percula or Ocellaris or Maroon clowns,
1x Flame angelfish,
2x or more Banggai Cardinalfish,
1x Yellowhead Jawfish,
1x Spotted Mandarin or Green Mandarin,
1x Firefish or Catalina Goby or Redhead Goby or a pair of Helfrichi's Firefish (for breeding purposes),
and maybe 1x Fridmani Pseudochromis.
and some shrimp. Any recommendations?
I still haven't read up on compatibility issues with these species or compatibility with corals. I did hear that the Mandarin fish are hard to maintain, that the angel fish eats some types of corals, and that the Maroon clowns and the fire angel should be introduced last into the aquarium. Other then that I still have alot of reading left to do. Does anyone see any issues with the list above?

Before I do start stocking, I first need to learn a little about making the salt water. I plan on using DI water from my Tap Water Filter and I have already bought Instant Ocean sea salt and a Deep-Six Hydrometer.
First off, this might sound kind of stupid, but the Deep-Six Hydrometer says that I need to fill the hydrometer with saltwater and allow it to sit for 24-hours to season the needle before I use it for the first time. Do I just dip and leave it inside my aquarium with the old water or do I make new saltwater in a one gallon milk container and leave it there for 24 hours, does it matter?
I didn't have enough money to buy a saltwater test kit so I thought maybe what I would do is, filter the water and add PH Adjuster and Electro-Right until I get the water to a ph of 8.2 or so. Then I could test the water using my freshwater test kit. Then I'll add the salt, a pump and a heater to the mixing container and leave it for 24 hours right? Why do I have to leave it for 24 hours before I add it to the tank?
I heard somewhere that the salt adds minerals and trace elements to the fresh water and rises the PH, correct? In that case, do I not add the Ph Adjuster and the Electro-Right liquid to the RO/DI water or just add the Electro-Right? After I add the new saltwater I have no way of testing the old water (only with the hydrometer), so I won't know if I drastically changed the current ph or anything else. I'll have to wait until I get a new job before I could purchase the saltwater test kit. The only inhabitants in the tank currently are a 4" crab and these two really small weird looking black shelled hermit crab type things. They could be snails, not sure. :huh: There also seems to be hundreds of really really tiny white worms on the glass. Any ideas what they might be? Should I be concerned? I've also seen these in one of my freshwater tanks.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
From what I can make out that PH adjuster is for Freshwater. A lot of Freshwater test kits will not read correctly for Marine (and vise versa). I'd also recommend a refractometer instead of a Hydrometer as the refractometer will provide a more accurate reading.

It is best to leave any freshly mixed water with a heater and pump going for 24 hours just to ensure the salt has fully mixed. If I do mine at night, the next morning the SG has usually increased.

Are you planning to get all of those fish or just some?

I certainly wouldn't get a Mandarin until your tank is at least 6 months established (prefereably 12 months).

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Yeah, I would skip the mandarin for now. They usually require a bigger tank with a large sump.

A suggested stocking plan:
1x Pair of Clowns (Keep in mind that Maroons can be really aggressive)
1x Pistol Shrimp/Goby (or a goby pair)
1x Banggai

and maybe one of the semi-agressive fish you listed. But I would add it last and wait to see what others say. This stocking plan is already pushing the envelope a bit :) I am sure others will have different ideas.

Note: I would take a look at your filtration. Usually HOB aren't adequate (by themselves). I wouldn't start adding a majority of your fish until you bump up to live rock.

Last edited:

leoslizards

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
From what I can make out that PH adjuster is for Freshwater. A lot of Freshwater test kits will not read correctly for Marine (and vise versa). I'd also recommend a refractometer instead of a Hydrometer as the refractometer will provide a more accurate reading.

It is best to leave any freshly mixed water with a heater and pump going for 24 hours just to ensure the salt has fully mixed. If I do mine at night, the next morning the SG has usually increased.

Are you planning to get all of those fish or just some?

I certainly wouldn't get a Mandarin until your tank is at least 6 months established (prefereably 12 months).
I know that the refractometer is better then a hydrometer. A refractometer goes for about $40.00 and the hydrometer was just $7.00. It's just temporary until I get more money.

What does SG stand for?

I'm planing to get about 8 fish and a couple shrimp, snails, crabs, etc.. maybe a pair of seahorses or pipefish.

These are my must have fish in order of most prefered.
2x Clownfish (Percula, Ocellaris, or Maroon)
1x Flame Angel
1x Goby (Firefish, Catalina, Redhead, or Helfrichi's Firefish. Maybe two Helfrichi's Firefish so that I can attempt to breed them.
1x Mandarin (Spotted or Green)

These are optional fish:
1x Yellowhead Jawfish
2x+ Banggai Cardinalfish
1x Fridmani Pseudochromis

Anyone suggest or recommend any other small species?

I'm planing on getting the pair of clowns first within the next month and either the flame angel or a goby. The other fish would be added within a year and the mandarin would be almost last. I want to add LR in about a few months after I get some better lights, sump, PS, etc...
I plan on making a DIY 10g - 30g Sump/Refug, PS, CR, etc..

Most importantly of all is first getting the water in the tank and then getting a saltwater test kit before I start buying the fish. :)

soneji

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2006
SG= specific gravity.

I'm always wary about flame angels. From what I've heard from friends that own them, they're rather fickle about water quality, and that's a decent amount of cash to spend on a quick addition to a new tank.
Of course, my salt's just a coral/invert tank, so there's a good chance I don't really know what I'm talking about on the fish end of things. : )

soneji

Registered Member
Jan 22, 2006
Almost forgot - lawnmower blenny is always a nice addition to keep your tank clean and your water parameters at healthy levels.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
The tank isn't large enough to support a mandrin it will likely starve to death unless you want to invest some time and effort in breeding pods. That's all they normally eat and your tank just isn't big enough. Catalina gobies are cold water fish so I would also remove that from your list.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The tank isn't large enough to support a mandrin it will likely starve to death unless you want to invest some time and effort in breeding pods. That's all they normally eat and your tank just isn't big enough. Catalina gobies are cold water fish so I would also remove that from your list.
:iagree: I also wouldn't stock a 29g with 8 SW fish.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I counted 4 minus the Mandrin Grins I was under the impression that you wanted any one of the list of 4 except for the helfrichis,"good luck with that bye the way." If you really do want all of those yes, you are overstocked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store