Medication use with clown loach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thecowman

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
In my 25 gallon community tank, my angelfish is quite sick. It has a fungal infection and popeye. Today I purchased some medication from my LFS that is supposed to cure both diseases. I have heard that use of medications can be harmful to clown loaches, and I am a bit reluctant to use the medication as there is a clown loach in my tank as well. Using a seperate tank to treat the fish is not an option as I do not have one available.

What should I do? Should I simply use half dosages? Or could the angel live in a bucket with an airstone as I medicate it?

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Don't use the medication. Some miracle might happen.... *hint* *hint*

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
i think your ment to half the dosage cause of the clown-loach being a loach it should say on the direstions but yeah is ok to but not the full dose

wetmanNY

AC Members
If you think a few "anti-bacterial" medicated drops added to the water will help, go for for it! Butalways isolate any fish with clinical signs of bacterial infection. Why infect healthy fish?

Hobbyists return fish that are "cured" of bacterial infections to community tanks as soon as the worst clinical symptoms are lessened.

"Cured" fish are often sub-clinical carriers of bacterial strains that kill susceptible individuals.
Read the posts at forums about "mysterious death tanks" etc

cpr4cpu

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
www.cpr4cpu.net
what meds do you have? I use malachite green to treat ich and I do it at full strength and never had a problem with loaches. I always do a 50% water change each day before I add the daily dose so as to not concentrate the toxic malachite green.

Kordon's Rid Ich+ is suposedly safe for them also.

I use Maracyn and Maracyn 2 at full strength as well.

Now, my opinion. If only one or two fish are ill, remove them and treat them accordingly. Loaches are particularly succeptible to ich and such and if I have an outbreak I try to remove the loaches and then treat the remaining tank. Lastly, my plants always seem to suffer the worst long-term affects of medication. Take this into account if you have any aponogetons...

thecowman

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I am now setting up a Q tank for the angel. Once everything is ready, I'm going to try treating it with some Maracyn. I really hope this works, has anyone else had any experience with this medication or similar ones for treating pop eye?

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
You got a Q-tank? Guess a miracle did happen!!! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store