Rubberlip Plecos!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SienaRot

Registered Member
Can anyone tell me anything about these guys?? I did a quick search, but didn't find very much information that answered what I needed.

Are they very hardy plecos?

Do they eat brown or green algae?

What sort of water conditions suit them?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
I have one in my 30 gallon

grow to 5"
eat diatoms (NOT BROWN ALGAE, we're talking about the same thing but I'm using a more scientifically correct name). I don't know about green algae though but I think so.
yes they are quite hardy
water conditions : 0 ammonia 0 nitrates about 76 degrees neutral PH.
Unless you have an algae ridden tank you will probably need to supplement their diet, either with vegetables like Zucchini and cucumbers and sinking algae tablets (both is prefered)

Good fish with the cleaning... however they are nocturnal and very shy. (They sometimes seem to be lazy too)

Aaron

SienaRot

Registered Member
Thanks for the reply, Hebdizzle!! Everything I found on these little guys seemed to indicate that they ate brown algae, but there were a few that mentioned green algae as well. Hopefully it cleans as well as all the refeferences I found say it does! I'm so picky when it comes to plecos, but for some reason, I think this little one's kinda cool looking! Hahaha!! ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store