DIY Sump/refugium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

torontoleafs_ro

Noob Reefer
Oct 12, 2007
GTA area Ontario, Canada
I'm looking to get in the saltwater fish/coral keeping hobby and i'm trying to save cost by building my own sump and refugium. I am wondering what size sump/refugium would be a good for a 90gallon tank . And also if someone could help me with plans for the build including dimensions. I will be sure to include picks of all the work I do but I'm looking to get started as soon as I can and I would really appreciate it if someone could help with some custom plans.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I'm looking to get in the saltwater fish/coral keeping hobby and i'm trying to save cost by building my own sump and refugium. I am wondering what size sump/refugium would be a good for a 90gallon tank . And also if someone could help me with plans for the build including dimensions. I will be sure to include picks of all the work I do but I'm looking to get started as soon as I can and I would really appreciate it if someone could help with some custom plans.
Here's a pic of mine that I built for not much money 50 gallon sump/refugium:

overflow tubes from the cpr cs 102 overflow box:

cpr cs 102 1200gal

Plumbing coming back from a mag 9.5 up to the tee and into the tank

Plumbing going into the display tank from the 9.5 mag plumbing

I'd be glad to answer any questions if I can.
Good luck,
Tom

torontoleafs_ro

Noob Reefer
Oct 12, 2007
GTA area Ontario, Canada
everthing in the setup will be completely new and i'm trying to keep the display tank as clean (empty of equipment) as possible so if anyone has sujestions that would be great keep in mind that it is a reef setup

"13"

Thirteen
Jun 17, 2007
Canada
Get a tank that is drilled.

djmajor

Gone Wild
Sep 15, 2007
North Carolina
I like the idea of DIY however I have a glass shop close by and will ask him if he can get AcryLite plastic per site mentioned above. My problem with glass tank is size configuration due to the cabinet doors on my 55 gal. I do like the external skimmer set-up above. Big task is for drawing lay-out for best fit due to my size limitations. 30" long x 12" wide. I have seem pics of people taking the center brace out to fit a longer sump but would not even go down that road. Will a bag filter or tray be needed in this set-up?

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
those are great sump pictures tom i am always looking for new sump ideas. as for making it a seamless tank i would go with a predrilled tank. they rock.

torontoleafs_ro

Noob Reefer
Oct 12, 2007
GTA area Ontario, Canada
I was thinking of just building the sump out of acrlyic plexiglass and just cuttinging it myself with a table saw and mitersaw... and if i get ambitious i was thinking about doing the same for the tank but right now i'm wanting to build a sump with refugium but would like some help with plans so I can get started... so if someone could make me some plans for a sump and refugium that would be incredible and I would greatly appreciate it

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If you haven't worked with acrylic before I HIGHLY suggest you get the proper blade for cutting it. The best one is actually 3 blades that will make a wide enough swath through the acrylic to prevent it from melting together as you are cutting it.

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
grins is right like always. i tried cutting some acrylic with my power saw and when i finished the cut there was a nice weld that had bonded it back together lol so i went out and bought the correct blade

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store