Coraline algae qestion

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I have two really nice pieces of LR with some nice purple coraline on them that an employee at my LFS gave me to jump start my coraline. They are both around the size of a baseball, but are covered with some residual cyano from my battle. I was thinking I would rinse them in cold water to get rid of the cyano and place them in a higher flow area.
Will rinsing them harm the coraline or other little critters on my rocks? I could mix a gallon or so of saltwater if I have to.
Thanks!!!
Robbie

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
We'll do...thanks!!!
Robbie

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I mixed up some saltwater in a pitcher and used that to rinse my rocks.
Now the only place that I really have any remaining cyano is on my wad of chaeto in my tank. When I put it in the tank, I rinsed it with cold water before placing it in the tank. Can I do the same thing again to get rid of the slime build-up on it? It didn't seem to hurt it the first time.
Thanks!!
Robbie

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
What I did was just pulled off the chunks that had the slim on it.. It reduced the size of the ball but with how fast my cheato is growing it really didn't matter.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Mine isn't growing terribly fast, but it is growing (I guess that is a sign that the there isn't a lot for it to feed on like phosphates and nitrates?). I increased the flow to it by turning the outlet from one of my Magnums towards it. I don't get why the cyano is hanging on to it...this stuff is swaying quite a bit from the flow. I guess I'll pull it out and rinse it...there are a ton of pods in the substrate.
thanks!!
Robbie

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
OT Grins, what is that in your avatar?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store