Here's what I've picked out...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

susanne_1989

AC Members
Oct 12, 2007
Okay everyone, here's what I've got picked out:

Java Moss, Cabomba Caro, Pennywort, Water Sprite, Amazon Sword, Java Fern Narrow, and a 7 to 14" piece of driftwood. This is from Aquadise on ebay. Their prices were slightly cheaper plus their shipping is free.

Any thoughts? Too much? What else can I use other than the weights sold, to anchor these down until they root in my gravel. I know I can tie some to the driftwood to grow there. And will order some fertlizer as well.

Be kind please, am totally learning here. Thanks

Again, 30g tank with 5 mollies, 3 platties, 1 oto, 2 cories, 2 black shirt tetras that will remain in this tank. Will be moving soon 2 blue gouramis and 1 common pleco.

GirlieGirl8521

Planted Tank Collector
Dec 21, 2006
Alabama
How much light? Fish do not matter in a planted tank (unless you have plant eaters ;)).....tank size and lighting are very important when choosing plants. :) With your plant choices, I hope you have atleast medium light.

They should stay in the gravel if you push them down deep. I have some huge tweezers (sold at Drs Foster and Smith) that i use to plant.....really helps when making plants stay in the substrate.

susanne_1989

AC Members
Oct 12, 2007
Oops, knew I forgot a detail. Right now 20W in 30g tank. But if I can get started with what I've got and then upgrade after a while. I can't put in a larger one in my fixture now so will have to buy a new one.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I think that should be fine. You could use something like ceramic rings and thread to anchor your plants. I use little rocks and java moss as string. You might have some trouble with your light, its pretty low. The fern and the moss will be fine but I am not sure about the others. I say give it a try. You could always look at picking up a cheap incandescent hood for now and using the screw in compact bulbs (lights of america from walmart, cheap and good). good luck and be sure to post pics.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
20 WPG won't cut it for a 30g, you'll need 30 for low, lowlight plants, and 60 for low-low/med plants.

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Okay everyone, here's what I've got picked out:

Java Moss, Cabomba Caro, Pennywort, Water Sprite, Amazon Sword, Java Fern Narrow, and a 7 to 14" piece of driftwood. This is from Aquadise on ebay. Their prices were slightly cheaper plus their shipping is free.
(Huh. Aquarium plants on eBay. I swear you can find anything there. :headbang2: )

It's a nice selection of plants, but you definitely need more light. I'd say about 60 watts.

susanne_1989

AC Members
Oct 12, 2007
60W? That sounds really bright? My hood is only rated for 20W. Flourescent or incandescent? Which one? I'll look and see what I can find for reasonable $$$. Thanks

Flourescent is what I have in there now. Getting really confused on the lighting part of this. Help!!

Last edited:

susanne_1989

AC Members
Oct 12, 2007
I think I got it........I hope

I have done more reading these past 2 days than I have since I got pregnant the first time, lol. I've been looking for an excuse to replace my whole hood anyway. The glass on it collects algae something terrible. It came with the tank and it traps algae and I can't get it all when I clean. ANYWAY, I'm thinking what I've finally decided is this: buy a new glass canopy. Two thoughts here, easier to keep clean (hopefully) and maximize the light allowed in. Then a power compact strip.

Okay, here's the dilemna, the top of the tank is 36" sooo, I would think that with the glass canopy I would have to buy the 36" light fixture so that it rests on the edge of the tank and not the glass. Or could I buy the 30" and rest it on the glass? I would think it would get in the way when I need to feed and might not be good to rest it on the glass. But the 36" lights I've looked at come with 96w. I know I could put in a lower wattage say 65w, but what would happen if I left in the larger one with low light plants? Make them grow faster? Produce more algae? Any other problems with a higher wattage? I'm going with low light plants mainly. Thanks:help:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Investigate T5 bulbs & fixtures.
They're available in suitable lengths & wattages (though a single one probably wouldn't do too well for Cabomba).

With T5 or PC (your 55 & 96W), you will have heat issues to watch for, so "right on the glass" isn't really an option anyway (especially if you do go w/ 96W PC).

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I use ceramic rings (sold as 'prefilter' media) and string or cable ties to weight down plants. seems 'more safer' to me than lead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store