My mudskipper tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
I have setup my first fish tank. It is a 30g. Its inhabitants are: 4 Indian Mudskipper, 4 Bumblebee Gobies, and 2 Fiddler crabs.

I just added the mudskippers a few days ago after having them shipped. Two of them acclimated quickly and act absolutely bonkers. The other two tend to sit in one spot underwater in the corner and I haven't seen them eat. I don't know if they are doing OK or what.

I am feeding the skippers crickets and blackworms, the gobies blackworms, and the crabs "Crab Cuisine" pellets.

Can someone tell me how the heck to clean the sand???

Any criticism or advice is appreciated.. :). Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera's viewfinder screen is broken.

jnhinsd

Registered Member
Oct 16, 2007
Nice, Where do you get those? i have never seen those at any pet store ever.....

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
interesting set up, but is that really enough water for all the inhabitants?
I don't know, is it? Is your concern with water quality or space? I have the filter set to turn the water over about every 10 minutes.

I figured the skippers are fine with that amount of water because they don't spend much time in it.

I am not sure about the gobies but from what I have read, they hang at the bottom of the tank mostly so I assumed they wouldn't care about the water height. Mine are quite active compared to what I have read about them sitting in hiding spaces all day - I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

FishyFry

Feeds low on the food chain
Apr 7, 2007
Michigan
www.pandk.org
...And my roomate wouldn't remove his tires and wheels from the living room so I decided to decorate them with the mudskipper tank :D
Gotta love it! :lol:
Hey I like the little crab. :) Tell me what you think of the floating log. I've seen it online lately and wondered about it. What is your substrate? Looks neat.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I'm wondering if that's actually enough land as opposed to water. Crabs and skippers prefer a sandbed rather than those plastic platforms.

For the gobies, you could add shells which they'll use as territories, and helps buffer the water as well.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
you might consider having 2 banks on either side of the tank, maybe steeper, and then deepening the water... but it could only be 3-4 gallons of water in there... at the inch per gallon rule, your gobies are pretty much using that up... I guess I didn't realize mudskippers spent so much time out of the water, but amonia is going to build up pretty quickly too...

I'd also worry about the sand getting stagnant... I was going to build something rather like this and was considering having the water return UNDER the sand bank, like a spring... but I never did it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store