How long before releasing guppy fry into general pop.?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
In general, how many weeks should I keep my guppy fry seperated from the rest of the tank. I realize alot depends on growth rate but I'd just like a general idea.

Mine are about two weeks old and I feed them two to three times a day and they are a little over a 1/4 inch (5 or 6 mm) long now.

JohnInFlorida

Middleburg, FL (near Jax)
May 16, 2007
They should be fine once they're "bigger than a mouthful"! :drool: :naughty:

Keep Smilin'
John :)

JohnInFlorida

Middleburg, FL (near Jax)
May 16, 2007
Didn't mean to sound like a smartazz ...
If it's still "difficult to judge" they're still too small. But if all they have to dodge is adult guppies and shrimp, they shouldn't need much longer.

Keep Smilin'
John :)

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
Thanks John!
Maybe another week then...they're starting to show just a little hint of color and look more like little fish than tadpoles now...The sound of the airpump attached the nursery is really annoying so I'm anxious to release them and shut it off!:)

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Sounds good to me, I've had 1 different platy babie survive happily each pregnancy, and now have the mother platy (Around 1.7"), first born (1"), second born (1/2"-3/5") and new baby (1/4"-1/3") all doing well in a 75g including female bettas.

iamgroovy

Nature Lover
Jul 7, 2005
PA USA
I have guppy fry that are between 1.1 month to 3 days old. :D I'm not releasing them until they are more then 1 inch.
If I wait until they are more than 1 inch, that nursery will be awfully crowded! :)
I wish I had room for a seperate fry tank...hmmm MTS strikes again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store