the beginning of a nitrate issue?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
realizing now that it would have been much easier to just start a log but here we go....

i currently have another thread somewhat related to this but thought id get more answers if I just started a new (more focused) thread

currently my tank is housing a decent sized colony of zoos, a small open brain coral, 3-4 fuzzy mushroom colony, and a bubble tip anemone (which is invisible apparently, to the clownfish that are SUPPOSED to be hosting it..grrr)

my other thread started to lead into the issue that i bought blue "marine sand" from big al's (not online, they have a local store near me with things not featured on their website), and that it could cause a nitrate issue.

so i panic, check my nitrate levels, and of course, they have risen from 20 to 40 ppm (having JUST done a 25 percent water change 2 days ago).

is there any way to fix this without completely removing my 80lbs of live rock, corals, anemone, and fish and replacing the entire substrate with ACTUAL marine sand (which im still not sure what the difference is....besides it NOT being dyed.....)

please help
thanks!

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
what is your feeding schedule?? what type of water are you using? you running any sort of nutrient export? (skimmer, macro algae?)
its tap water and im using a conditioner
usually feed twice daily
and i have an aqua c remora protein skimmer, and a small hang on filter running some carbon cartridges

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Although I think you're going to want to replace the substrate with aragonite, perhaps if you give us more details we can think of something else. Tank specs, fish, inverts, feeding (how much, what, etc.)

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
what do you have in the tank as far as stock? Have you tested you water before it goes in the tank for nitrates? Its possible that is where its coming from. Can a lfs supply you with RO water?

Niko

Last edited:

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
Although I think you're going to want to replace the substrate with aragonite, perhaps if you give us more details we can think of something else. Tank specs, fish, inverts, feeding (how much, what, etc.)

29 gal
fish:
1 small yellow tang
2 ocellaris clowns
1 sleeper goby
1 cleaner shrimp
10 blue legged hermits
10 cerith snails

coral:
1 zoo colony
3 fuzzy mushrooms
1 open brain

as for feeding i mostly feed live brine shrimp twice a day, enough that they finish it within a minute and occasionally tetramarine flake food.

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
what do you have in the tank as far as stock? Have you tested you water before it goes in the tan for nitrates? Its possible that is where its coming from. Can a lfs supply you with RO water?

Niko
haven't tested the tap water for nitrates..yet...i'll go do that now
and i haven't checked lfs to see if they carry RO water.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Do you plan to upgrade in the very near future? as the tang is going to outgrow that tank pretty quickly. I would only recomend a 75 or more for a yellow tang...but, thats just my opinion..

Niko

opivyfan1313

AC Members
Sep 27, 2007
Do you plan to upgrade in the very near future? as the tang is going to outgrow that tank pretty quickly. I would only recomend a 75 or more for a yellow tang...but, thats just my opinion..

Niko
ive got a 55gal in the basement that may come into play

...also, i checked my tap water and it tested 0ppm for nitrates

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Well a few thoughts, not all related to the original question mind you.

I do think your substrate is going to need changed out. A pain yes, but a pain that is better off being handled now than in the future when it is a bigger issue. You didn't provide much in the way of specs so I'm stabbing in the dark on a few things.

• Do you have a sump or fuge? Mostly asking because some macroalgae to help export the nitrates would help.
  • You mentioned that you had just done a 25% water change. What is your water change schedule?
  • I agree with Niko about getting a new source of water and I'd have the store test their water for you while you're there.
  • I also agree with Niko about the tank being too small for the tang. Mine is in a 55 and I'm keeping an eye peeled for when he needs a bigger home if that day should come. I can't imagine him being in a 29. On the food, I don't see any herbivore foods for the tang listed. It is vital that he eats primarily greens. My tang is definitely an omnivore the way he chows down on carnivore foods but he is fat and happy because of his marine greens.
  • Where are you getting the live brine shrimp? From a LFS? Are you adding the water they come in to your tank? Are you trying to buy a bunch and then spreading out portions throughout the week? Either of these could be problematic for your tank.
  • Overall I'd look at changing your feeding a bit. A better variety of healthier fare for what each of your specimens need.
  • Sometimes false percs never host. Some feel it is bred out of them, who knows. It is always a gamble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store