...i'm out....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
hey everyone. I'm taking a break from the hobby.
I bought a chiller the other weekfrom someone online, but they didnt sent the powerchord...(??!!!). So when i got home from a midterm today, i see my tank is at 86.5. I put in an ice pack and turn off the lights and temp is going back down. sweet. I leave my room.
I come back in a while later and see water all over my ENTIRE floor. The ice pack got sucked into the return of my HOB refugium and clogged it, overflowing 10+ gallons onto the floor (this measurement was also considered live rock in the tank...). Hundreds of dollars worth of coral are out of the water. I grabbed everything, made a super quick batch of salt water and changed everything over. I am still doing laundry from all the twoels, i cleaned and washed out all my equiptment. I took apart all the draws underneigh that had my camera, toiletries, other electronics, etc, etc, etc, etc. Somehow my computer and speakers didnt break. But i did have to throw a lot of stuff out.
Tomorrow i'm taking all my stuff to the LFS i work at. I just cant afford to have something like that happen again. Also, i dont even have 10 gallons of water... But if i changed 10 gallons of water on a 12 gallon system, the cycle would probably start over, and i would rather not risk loosing my fish and corals, especialy my favorites like my rainbow monti and my 14 headed ORA duncan...

eff....
i'll still be around of course a lot, and still a part of the hobby, since i work at a LFS, but for now, i wont have a tank. perhaps i'll start one after winter break...
just wanted to let everyone know and say thanks for everything.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Dude so sorry to hear that. If you ever start back up you can count on a starter frag from me.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Changing water, even 100%, isn't going to restart the cycle. The bacteria is not contained in the water. It is attached to the rock and substrate.

It's sad that something like that happened to you. I can't begin to count the number of times I've been through that kind of thing.

joshuacpr99

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
houston, tx
SORRY TO HEAR THAT!!!!!!!!! REALLY SUCKS! MY 55 GAL. SPRUNG A LEAK ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO. GAVE ME AN EXCUSE TO UPGRADE TO A 75 GAL.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah. i know it wouldnt restart a full cycle, but it definatly wouldnt be a good thing. especialy seeing how the sand ben in the refugium was dry for a bit. But oh well, it's all done now. All that's left is carting things to the LFS.
josh: yeah, it sucks, huh? I've gone though a lot of leakes and overflows with lots of different tanks... I cant really afford to have it happen here in a dorm though... There was some water damage last month from a clogged drain that ended up costing 6000 bucks to fix and then students blow lost all types of things, even their computers, adding on to the costs, from it leaking down. If it ever happened again, i wouldnt have the money to afford to fix anything. Perhaps after break i'll start another tank. Maybe i'll downgrade lighting *GASP!!* to just a 150 halide and do LPS, or maybe another sps. who knows?
jojo: thanks a bunch. We shall see when the next tank is in store. Because there is no way in heck i'm out for good. Just a little bit :)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Dude.. so sorry but when you get back let me know I'll send you a present as I know I'll have some by then..

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Really really sorry to be hearing this Fishie..a terrible thing to happen to you mate..We will help you out with bits if need be when you decide to fire a system up again..Sucha shame...

Niko

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I know the feeling. My anemone spawned again the other day--nothing died, but I am back to square one with water changes, etc. I lost quite a bit myself. I am thinking of selling my current tank and making it strictly an anemone tank--maybe like a 60g cube or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store