Pregnant black molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gyp5y5

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Hi all, I have a pregnant (very very pregnant) black molly who, for the last couple of days, has spent most of her time staying in one position and doesn't appear to be eating. She has a little bit of white protruding from her back end which is similar to when she gave birth last time. The male is dislaying constantly and appears to be guarding her (he only comes away to eat and then goes back to her). He never touches her though so isn't hassling her. I've noticed now that the end of her tail has gone slightly white with a tiny bit hanging from it (finrot?)

Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to help her or should I just leave them alone? Would melafix/pimafix be strong enough to help the finrot?

Thanks

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to help her or should I just leave them alone? Would melafix/pimafix be strong enough to help the finrot?

Thanks
Hi,

What are your water params, and temp? How often do you do WC?
1. Melafix/Primafix will not hurt,
2. You could try doing a water change, also try adding salt 1tsp per 10gals,

Cheers
Debbie

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
:iagree: water changes should be all you need and anything else would be adding stress to an already stressed out fish .

the birthing is a very stressful time for them .

gyp5y5

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
Hi all, temp is about 72, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, PH 6.8

WC with gravel vac every week (about 10-15%)

The fin problem isn't what's worrying me at the moment. It's the fact that she's got a little bit of white protruding from one of her holes. Looks like it did when she was giving birth last time but nothing's happening this time. Could one of the babies be stuck and blocking her? Is it possible for them to have long labours (this has been going on for a couple of days now) and could this be the reason that Mr was guarding her?

We moved her into her own tank last night and she seems more rested and calmer although the situation re the white stuff remains. Stumped.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store