Blue Hippo Tang NOT EATING!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Darrynp

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Grimsby Ontario Cananda
Hey all. About 2 weeks ago i picked up a Blue Tang ( Always wanted one ) and he is starting to waste away and I dont know what to do. He is not a baby by any means. I wouls say he or she is about 6 inches long. From what I was told they mainly graze and romaine lettuce is good for them to eat. I also feed my critters Mysis and flake's , My Corals and filtre feeders I feed Micro-vert and Phytoplex.

My tank is:
110 gallon tall
seaclone 150 skimmer
rena filstar xp3 canister
two fishies phosban reactor
95 lbs figi live rock
48" t5's double 10000k and one actinic
48" actinic strip coral life
65 lbs of crushed coral

Fish:
2 Chromis
2 Percula Clowns
1 Klarkii Clown
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Brown Tang
1 Fire Fish Goby
1 Domino Damsel
1 Three Striped Damsel
1 Zebra Goby
1 Green Madarin
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Serpent Star
2 Brittle Stars
1 Pajama Cardinal
1 Algae Blenny
1 Electric Scallop
7 Different Types of Anenome's
Assorted Coral Mushrooms, Leathers, Whip's, Clams Crabs and snails

Now my tank has been running for about 9 and a half months now and I have had very little problems with any of my fish. I have seen a slight decline in some of my coral but i have had no real issues with the fish in the aquarium.

I'm really hoping that i can figure out what is wrong with my Blue Tang before its too late. I think that on this forum there must be someone who has had the same problem.. Well lets hope so. My addy is darrynp77@hotmail.com so if you at all have any sugesstions please dont hesitate to let me know

Thank you in advance
'

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
well first things first, romaine isn't actually that healthy for them. They need ocean algae (seaweed). You can buy products such as Seaveggies and other commercial made products. Or if you don't have a fish store around you and convenient, you can always run out to the local supermarket and look for nori. Nori is dried seaweed, which is carried at a lot of supermarkets and used in making of sushi. Id say try one of those too foods.

Someone else might jump in on what i have already said and help you out more, but that is where i would start.

Also if you could post your water parameters it would help us as well.

Do other fish in the tank appear to be ill, or have they stopped eating?

Darrynp

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Grimsby Ontario Cananda
No all the other fish are eating well and have not seen anyone waisting away like the BT. Everything looks proper or as it should be. My nitrate and amonia level's are normal and my calcium level is at about 400. My silinty is at 1.024 and temperature is 80.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
ok, like i said. It simply could just be the fact that the romaine lettuce isnt satisfying the fish. Try some Nori or some commerical products like seaweed salad sea veggies or seaweed selects.

Also keep in mind that in the wild tangs just graze naturally all day long. Its not just a simple feeding 1-2 a day. So what is usually dones is the food is either clipped into the tank or tied down to a small piece of live rock with a rubber band or some fishing line. Dont worry about leaving the food in the tank, its a good thing that way the tang can eat when it is hungry, and graze on it all the time.

Also, romaine can still be fed... but not as a primary source of the fish's diet. If romaine is fed, it needs to be blanched. Simply pour boiling water over the romaine for 10-20 seconds (or enough to make it soft). This makes the lettuce easier to eat and easier to digest for the tang.

Hope this helps,
Jay

Darrynp

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Grimsby Ontario Cananda
Thanks alot . I do have it clipped to the side of the tank and my other tangs go at it non stop .. Actually its as if i cannot keep up with how much the other two eat. If i can figure out how to upload some pics then i will be more then happy to show everyone the state my tank is in now. I have been in the hobby for almost 2 years now and as time goes by i realise that there is alot to learn about keeping marine fish etc. I really hope to see the BT jump back and to start eating.its such a beautiful animal..

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I could not get my hippo tang to eat the nori, so I got some Ocean Nutrition Formula TWO Marin Pellet and my tang goes crazy when I feed in the am with the pellets. I also have some macroalgae that I put in the tang; not a ton, but enough to be able to graze when she wants.

How does the stomach look? is it extended or buldging at all? Do you notice any spots or abrasions. Have you noticed any different behavior in the reef?

Sorry for all the questions, just tryin to help.

Darrynp

AC Members
Oct 23, 2007
Grimsby Ontario Cananda
She is looking skinny.. You can tell she hasnt eaten anything in a while. God its so sad to tell you the truth I hate seeing animals suffer like this and all im trying to do is keep them all so very happy. The Reef is happy. Nothing out of the ordinary. I did have a anenome crab die off a couple of days ago along with a emerald crab. Plus something ripped the arms off my coral banded shrimp and he's gone to.! 8( I just did a 10% water change tonight actually about 2 hours ago.

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I agree, it needs primarily greens. My tang's diet is 90% marine greens, I don't use any terresterial greens. If you have only had the tang for 2 weeks and it is in the display now it sounds like you skipped QTing? Risky move if you did, and it can be helpful to make sure it is eating what you serve before it has to deal with tank dominance.

First I'd try the marine greens, if they still don't work I'd add garlic extreme to some Formula II flakes and feed the tank. I also would get more than one clip in there. If it still won't eat I'd get it into a QT tank and see if it will start to eat there and if it does fine in it for a bit then you can move it back into the display.

I'm a bit surprised at the stocking in a tall tank too. That hippo would really appreciate at least 6' in length and would a few others, and whoa 7 different kinds of anemones? I'm surprised you aren't having warfare issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store