My 20H Freshwater Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
So, I have some questions. I have two neon tetras, I know I need more, but I am going to give these away most likely, a praecox rainbow, and a green spotted puffer which I just got yesterday. So I hear that the GSP are mostly BW fish, but heard from many that it can also survive in mainly freshwater. I have plants in my tank such as java moss, some vals, and some rotala. I did add a small amount of salt, I took a bottle and cut it at the bottom so its just the bottom of a water bottle about 4 inches high, and I put salt maybe 3/4 of an inch full and gravel on top. I want to keep the plants as they look nice and because they help with filtration so much. How much salt could I have with the plants still being fine? BTW I have 40 watts of light just if you need to know. My GSP is about 1.5 inches long or a little under without the tail fin, so can I put my hand in the water lol? I heard they have teeth but don't actualy know what kind really. If he nibbles on me will it hurt lol?

Thanks

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
umm i have no idea. i should get it checked. Will it hurt though since it is just under 2 inches long? Umm how much salt could i have about for everything to be ok? Like how mNy tbspoons?what r some plants that could survive a bit of salt? Thanks

Last edited:

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
GSPs are only FW when small. Your guy should be in the 1.005 to 1.012 SG range and will need up to 1.18ish when adult at 6 inches. He'll also need 30+ gallons by himself, and he'll get much more aggressive as he ages. He'll need snails, shell on crab, and shell on shrimp to keep his teeth down (muscles and clams work well, too). You can do much of your shopping in the grocery seafood section!

Let me suggest unless you're willing to make the commitment consider taking the puffer back...

Eric

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hmmm.

So, if I had him in low end brackish water, could he survive and do fine? I have live plants and would like to keep the hardier ones which I heard could survive in low end brackish water so I could put a little bit of salt in there.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
He'd only do fine for about a year or so...then he'd need the nearly SW level brackish. They should live around 10+ years, but in low BW that will be cut in half and and FW cut half of the half (just a couple of years).

Eric

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
so I heard in another topic that if I am close to 1.005 I could keep some hardy plants like hornwort, moss, and vals which I have. Well I have rotala but i will sell it and get some hornwort. Do you think he will do fine in about 1.005? Right now he doesn't pick at all on my praecox, could he take some salt or no?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Most plants are really iffy in BW, despite what many sites say. I had luck with java moss in my Figure 8 puffer tank (which was at 1.005 SG). He'll eat your praecox when he becomes an adolescent.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i would take back the GSP (or get the 30 gallon that you'll need anyway) instead of altering the easablished tank that you already have in place. neon tetras really do not appreciate having salt in their water for long periods of time like a BW setup would have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store