Yellow Tang Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
Do they naturally have little white flecks below their lateral line, running up to their lower jaw? It's the kind of thing you couldn't see in a picture, so I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing. You have to get really close to even see these.

He's had them since I got him a year ago, just in that area. Almost looks like a pattern. Before anyone asks, he eats like a pig, bosses around the other tank mates, and constantly fights his reflection. Healthy as a horse.

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
i saw little dots on one at my lfs yesterday. i didnt think anything about it and thought i was seeing things. ill be there tomorrow so i will check as well. the one i saw it on was huge.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I tried to get a picture, knowing it would be impossible, and it was worse than I thought.

I should post them, just to show just how badly I failed.

In fact, I will.

I especially like the one where the auto focus took a fantastic shot of the snail, while the tang was zooming across the tank.

My hair algae and cyano are beautiful. That's what happens when you turn your skimmer off when you go on vacation. Yikes.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
lol, my tang is a brat like that when I try to snap a photo of him. Your tang is really showing his fright stripes in those pics, perhaps he considers you the papparazzi of the fish world? Nice gold striped maroon by the way and the flame looks fat and happy.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
I always like to see others people's tank pictures, so I took a full shot of the tank while I had the camera out. 75G FOWLR. It's about 50/50 live rock and base rock, and it's not hard to tell the difference.

You can see the spotted hawk hiding on his perch directly above the tang, and the blurry streak in the top right is a lawnmower blenny not doing his job.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
Yeah, it's easier to get flow through the rocks that way and the fish seem to like it. Still need to get a couple more powerheads going, not thrilled with the gph after one of them blew up a few weeks ago.

A murdering lobster dug a nice cave system on the left side of the tank, so there are still plenty of places to hide. In fact, I traded in the lobster to get the flame after he chomped my Coral Beauty. That was the last straw.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have never seen spots like you suggested but mine did have a white hue.. Almost like yours when I got her and found out it was Uronema marinum

http://www.animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Uronema

I treated it and her color returned and was great after that.. Until she became a raging nightmare in my tank.. She bit off most of one of my other fishes tails (a pajama cardinal) and ate the heads off of two of my dusters.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks for the link. Doesn't sound like it fits, no symptoms, no other fish showing symptoms. As I said, it's been a year and it's the only tang I've ever owned so I don't know if that's normal.

An unrelated question, can anyone identify the starfish in the picture above?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store