Plants for Very Low-End BW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi I tried looking around a bit but didn't find too much. I have my 20H planted tank with two neon tetras, a praecox rainbow, and my new GSP. The two neon tetras I will most likely be giving away. I know that GSP's prefer BW but can live in FW, so I was wondering if I could still keep my tank planted but at a very low salinity level. If so, what would be some hardy plants that could withstand the addition of a small amount of salt. How much salt would be the most I could have while still keeping some plants? Thanks a lot!

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Vallis, hygros, hornwort, moneywort, tiger lotus, anacharis, java fern, java moss, marimo and onion plants can all go in low-end brackish. They should do fine up to 1.005, and I'm sure the hardier ones like java fern can go even higher.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
ok thanks. So my GSP, would he die if he were in very low end to low end brackish water for a while? SO would hornwort, vallisneria, and java moss do fine in the low end of the brackish water?

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
no one?

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
as a juvie it will be ok but not recommended. i would start in low end and then move up slowly to 1.012 and then higher when the little guy is full grown

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store