Cichlid Feeding options?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I wouldn't use it as a staple diet--it's not going to provide the right nutrition for all cichlids.

I'm pulling this out and putting it in the cichlid forum--questions here won't get you the best response.

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I use cichlid color flakes, I am assuming they have kerotine in them as my cichlids are extemely colorful where ones of the same species at LFS are not nearly as colorful. Speaking of....I was at a LFS this sunday and I saw two adult male green terrors in a tank together and of course one of them had big chunks missing out of his dorsal and caudal fin :mad: , it used to be my favorite LFS but now I have lost a lot of respect for them. I grabbed one of the employees and told him that they should separate them and he looked at me like I was a d*ck and said, is there anything I can help you with SIR? Really got under my skin. Sorry for the rant. I will find out what brand I use, but I would not use betta food, use something like brine shrimp or color flakes, they really enhance colors and provide the nutrients that you fish actually need. That and make sure and give them veggies!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
i use tetra cichlid color flakes and hikari cichlid gold. soon i will buy tetra cichlidcolor sticks for my blue acaras. also feed tetra cichlid sticks and frozen beef heart and plankton

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I also feed frozen plankton but they do not seem to enjoy this as much as some of the other foods I give them, but they still eat it. I give it to them when I get home. I have a varied feeding regimen that has resulted in great growth. my GT has grown from 1.5" to about 4" in two months. I feed three times a day, morning he gets color flakes, after noon I alternate between sinking cichlid pellets, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, and frozen plankton. Evenings I give shrimp pellets and algae wafers. I feed whole night crawlers as snacks 3 to 4 times a week. He really loves the earthworms and normally wont even let them hit the gravel before he takes his first nip at them. I would say overall the best way to give your cichlid the best coloration is to give them stable water conditions and feed them a varied diet with vegatables as well.

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
I don't think it will hurt if its just to get you through until you can make it to the store or something like that but I definately wouldn't use it as a staple. For flake I like Ocean Nutrition Formula One and Two and Cichlid. For pellets I also like the Hikari cichlid Gold and spirulina but my all out favorite is Omega One. It's the only one I have found where the first ingredient is Salmon, actual fish as the first ingredient!

Eric86

AC Members
I use whatever is available... Hikari gold pellets.. blood worms, tubiflex worms, crickets, crawdads, krill, flakes... just about anything, but hikari gold is what I use for staple;)

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
HBH flake frenzy is what I have been using, seems to work rather well.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
oh its only a before the actual feeding feedings you know what i meen i was just saying to my self i didnt start this thread but orion girl did

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store