HELP! SICK GLASS CATFISH????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
he eats and behaves fine, danios don't bother him. no ammonia/nitrite, little nitrate, pH 7.0

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
That's definately ich, it appears more serious due to their transparency.

You can either use salt treatement (I'm not sure how to administer it) or buy some malachite green and follow the directions on the bottle, most people suggest using the salt method though some fish (including scale-less ones like the phantoms) are more sensitive to that sort of full-on treatement.

If it does not survive, I seriously suggest getting at least two more glass catfish. They are extremely sensitive and depend on company of their own kind. If you do not do so you may notice your last surviving one literally waste away.

Good luck, hope it gets better.

Here's two threads on the same problem, one of which was my own.
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108880
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111565

Last edited:

NilsBaees

Smile!
Sep 22, 2007
Northern California
All right! thanks a ton for the dosage and linkies! my glassie thanks you all! I'll dose ASAP!

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Remember to keep up the required dosages even after the symptoms have died down, or appeared as though they've gone. The free-swimming stage of the parasite may still exist or some may still live in the gravel and it may build up a resistance if the treatement is sporadic and perfunctory, it may come back to hurt your glassies far worse a second time.

Good luck with the dosage :)

sherryazure

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Hello, I am posting for the first time here, as I was searching for information on Asian Glass catfish and came across your querry.

After looking at your photos, and having glass cats one of whom had the similar situation (along with many I see at lfs's) I tend to think it is not ich but rather Columnaris Disease (goes by many names) but is a bacteria which can run from treatable to so virulent it destroys overnight. I have betta’s as well, and became quite familiar with this as I would do rescues and went through much trial and error in treating it.

It seems common today, as fish are raised in less desirable conditions and experience genetic immune weakness. At any rate the idea is to catch it early, with often hard to detect (esp in colored fish) which might start with a little change in scale color. It is often mis-diagnosed as a fungus when it appears stringy, (grey to whitish) or cottony, but if you know true fungus (looks like dandelion flower when it goes white and can be blown on to spread) you will eventually discern the difference. (As I said much experience to learn of this).

Now the glass cat showed this up even though I have two outside filters and one underground thing to push the water around. I had small snails that apparently created too much ‘debree’ as the tank is understocked for a 20 gallon long. Apparently water quality could have been better, or maybe stress as parameters checked out, who really knows, but one guy had ‘it’ - and I suspected C.B. I have 4 of them (four one original one swam up the filter outlet before I noticed it thinking it was a river and passed long ago) (hard to find to create bigger school, but huge mom guppy taught them to swim with less fear - they would join her and follow her everywhere, and to eat at the top and even at the bottom!) And one moonlight gourami, and 3 other small fish.

Since I had a back ground in pre vet/zoo/ocean bio/chemistry sciences and nutrition and natural therapies, I try to apply the least stressful product in treatment (don’t we all). And, there is not much success often with standard treatments due to research which I discovered; one, often over medicated when bread, increasing bacterial resistance, and, most over the counter med’s are of less quality, and far less potency then pharma grade products.

At any rate, back to answer your question and how a treatment worked for me. I knew of hydrogen peroxide as a treatment for many illnesses and it is native to most creature and is produced by our cells.

I had used it more successfully then regular med’s in treating betta’s from store along with salt dips (done separately) and melafix and pimafix (both of which I used in human form for myself). I read that the pimafix is better for bacteria and melafix for healing after (trial and error may show diff results for diff uses by others.)

So, since I knew the glass cats might be sensitive to meds or anything, along with h2o2, and salt (helps to add very slowly and decrease back to main water after treatment to avoid osmotic shock et al). I decided that since he was doomed if it wasn’t taken care of to try to h2o2.

The important thing with this treatment is to NEVER get it in the gills. Food grade of a higher concentration then the standard 3% found at stores is hard to find so I use regular store bought (contains heavy metals - I think traces of mercury if memory serves, so use separate tank for treatment).

I diluted it a bit with tank water, and my routine is to have a small flat large oval plastic container with main tank water in it, the h2o2 on a small dish ready to go, with a cotton swab (some drip but you have got to do it on a species by species, ie easy for long betta tail, but if it creeps back to fish gills instant death)...

I have this prepared and ready to go. I net the fish and have water in bowl under net to transfer him out. I then moved to set up, and carefully took him out of water and tried to tip him up so head is up away from direction of any dribbles - not easy to do and steady hand helps. I then ever so gently swab the area; ie almost not touching so as not to disturb stress coat, but just lightly dab, not smear or rub. Hold a second (some sites say longer but with small fish whose gill structure can get damaged from weight of air I only have time to treat then back into the water.)

Then I add a few drops (there are formulas, but for one bucket - the Chinese plastic container for small soup, not sure how much that is in volume) I use a few drops pre measure so no larger amounts get in, diluted and dribble in over a minute or two.

Then he soaked for a bit (covered in towel with small silk leaf for security). I then dribbled fresh main tank water back in over time. Then put him back (lights low again stress reduction, as stress weakens immune system).

His tail is choppy, didn’t grow back, his whiskers are much shorter, grew back a bit, and main body is all transparent. Thank goodness it was not in his gill area (often is and goes systemic) as it sends out enzymes that destroy tissue and it gains ground. Months later he is fine and this surprised me as they are apparently tougher then most think. At least this guy / girl was and is.

Here are some education links. Sorry for length, and best Sherry

(ps I have used salt in treating cories and glass cats but less then with other fish such as bettas - and much more slowly increase and decrease noting any signs of severe stress).

PPS. FC (or what ever it is called now) thrives at higher temperatures (why outbreaks are often seem more in hot summer areas).

http://article.discusnews.com/cat-02/columnaries.shtml

http://www.fishvet.com/columnaris.htm

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_10950-27387--,00.html

Some photos of advanced states (starts with scale discoloration).

http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

Photos and salt and peroxide treatments listed.

http://www.bonniesplants.com/sick_injured_fish/saprolegina.htm

Reg meds (from fish forum).

"Columnaris" (a.k.a. Mouth Fungus)

Symptoms
An infected fish will have off-white to gray cotton-like patches on the head, fins, gills, body and particularly the mouth. In time, these areas will develop into open sores. Gill swelling may occur, gill filaments may stick together and excessive mucus may develop in the gill area. Rapid breathing can be seen.
Fins may deteriorate to the point of leaving the fin rays bare. Muscles may be inflamed and capillaries may rupture.

Fish, particularly livebearers, may exhibit "shimmying". Infection may be acute (killing an infected fish within hours), or chronic (lingering for several days before eventually killing the fish). As with most diseases, not all symptoms need be present.

Cause
The bacterium Flexibacter columnaris.

Treatment
Ensure that your water conditions (e.g., Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Nitrate levels, and water temp.) are within their proper ranges. If not, perform a water change and/or treat the water accordingly. Recommended medications include: Furanace, Fungus Eliminator, Fungus Cure, Furacyn, Furan-2, Triple Sulfa, E.M. Tablets, Tetracycline, or Potassium Permanganate. Medicated foods are also recommended. Columnaris can be highly infectious and may quickly kill all aquarium inhabitants; therefore, early treatment is essential. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium they inhabit should be treated.

Articles on use of hydrogen peroxide as treatment.
http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1577/C03-005&ct=1

North American Journal of Aquaculture
Article: pp. 300–305 | Abstract | PDF (71K)

Efficacy of Hydrogen Peroxide in Controlling Mortality Associated with External Columnaris on Walleye and Channel Catfish Fingerlings
Jeff J. Rach, Susan M. Schleis, Mark Gaikowski, and Alan Johnson

U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, Upper Midwest Environmental Sciences Center, 2630 Fanta Reed Road, La Crosse, Wisconsin 54603, USA

Abstract.—The efficacy of hydrogen peroxide in controlling mortality associated with external columnaris infections on walleye Sander vitreus (formerly Stizostedion vitreum) and channel catfish Ictalurus punctatus fingerlings was evaluated in two on-site trials. Microscopic examination of skin scrapes before treatment confirmed the presence of bacteria indicative of columnaris disease. In separate trials, walleyes (12 g) and channel catfish (2.3 g) were exposed to a total of three every-other-day hydrogen peroxide treatments of 0, 50, 75, or 100 mg/L for 60 min. Each treatment regimen was tested in triplicate, and each replicate contained 13 walleyes or 26 channel catfish. Hydrogen peroxide exposures of 50 mg/L for 60 min significantly increased walleye survival relative to that at other treatment concentrations, including the controls. Exposures of 50, 75, or 100 mg/L of hydrogen peroxide for 60 min significantly increased channel catfish survival in comparison with that of controls. These trials indicated that hydrogen peroxide treatments effectively reduce mortality in walleyes and channel catfish infected with external columnaris.

Received: January 27, 2003; Accepted: April 2, 2003

It is a sad thing indeed, that pure 33% food grade (which I used for myself and many other uses, as it is safe and non toxic when used properly, ie strong acid at the above concentration) has been basically black balled by fda due to preassure by big pharmas who could not patent it. (there are ways to obtain it and any banned books on oxygen therapies, used extensevely in Europe and many other countries). Now I see some big pharmas have a patent on it for use in veterainary medicine and also other article for commercial fish growers. Unfortunate that one must pay big bucks for what is a highly effactious and was an inexpensive treatment!

http://www.wchemical.com/PDFs/LRP_Status_for_Hydrogen_Peroxide_to_be_Rescinded_Oct2006.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/141-255o011107.pdf

http://www.fws.gov/fisheries/aadap/Hydrogen peroxide/NEWS RELEASE 15 jan 2007.pdf

(big bucks now)

NEWS RELEASE: MAJOR AQUACULTURE DRUG APPROVAL FOR 35% PEROX-AID®
GREAT NEWS!!! 35% PEROX-AID® (hydrogen peroxide) was approved on January 11, 2007 for control of mortality in (1) freshwater-reared finfish eggs due to saprolegniasis, (2) freshwater-reared salmonids due to bacterial gill disease, and (3) freshwater-reared coolwater finfish and channel catfish due to external columnaris disease.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store