Half moon betta issues.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Some of my concerns about this breed of betta seem valid or else I'm just witnessing them in my individual betta.I was reluntant to get a HM male over these concerns and ended up getting one anyways because I was getting females from the same place.

I've been afraid of bettas going down the same road as goldfish and getting all sorta of problems from being bred into special forms.

Things I've observed:
- HM seems less active then the delta male.
- HM swims differently ".
- HM likes to rest against objects more "
- When stopped, the HM sometimes tips over from the weight of his finnage.

I'm sure some might say...My HM is sick...but no, he eagerly comes rushing over to beg for food. Or my conditions are bad..But then the other bettas would be effected too. It's possibly my HM has been poorly bred so I cannot rule that out and I cannot make a judgment call on HM males in general by observing my single HM male.

Anyone else who have a HM male care to comment?.

Last edited:

dwag88

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
My halfmoon is still small (about 3 months old) but he certainly isnt less active than my crowntail. He constantly patrols his tank. when he stops his bottom two fins (don't remember what they are called, the ones in the upside down v shape just behind and underneath the gills) extend and keep him upright. Only problem I have with him is that he will NOT eat hikari betta bio-gold unless i cut it in half and sometimes he chases my pygmy cories

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store