powder blue tang worries

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

siany

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
glasgow
Hi.
I've had a marine aquarium a few months and just bought a powder blue tang. Now i've got him i've read that they are prone to ich and he seems to scratch himself on the rocks quite a bit but i can't see any marks on him. he feeds off the bottom of the tank a lot and sometimes flakes that i put in. he swims around quite a lot but his colour is more grey than blue and he was like this when i bought him. should i be worried about him and trwat him for ich. whats the best way to do this as i've got clown fish, yellow tailed damsels and firefish and they've all been happy and healthy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sian

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
They are very prone to ich yes and the scratching is a good sign that something is not right. However, you need to be able to see whats wrong before a suggested routine of treatment can be suggested. Of course, for ich, start having a real close look for white spots, and the immediate you see something, you should remove the tang into a quarantine/hospital tank and prepare for treatment depending on what is seen as wrong...

Niko

siany

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
glasgow
They are very prone to ich yes and the scratching is a good sign that something is not right. However, you need to be able to see whats wrong before a suggested routine of treatment can be suggested. Of course, for ich, start having a real close look for white spots, and the immediate you see something, you should remove the tang into a quarantine/hospital tank and prepare for treatment depending on what is seen as wrong...

Niko
hi.
thanks for getting back to me. i've looked on the internet and i'm getting more paranoid. My tang is eating and darting around but still scratching now and again. I can't tell if his breathing is quicker as i don't really know what it should be like. There are no signs of grainy spots of any colour so does this mean that i shouldn't attempt to move him out unless i see some. All my other fish are looking really healthy and i'm also worried that they might catch something.
thanks again

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Keep a close eye on him and you soak his food in Garlic. Alot of times they can recover on there own if they are healthy. In the future you definfinately should invest in a small QT tank.

Can you provide some details on your tank setup? Size and Parameters would be a good start.

If he in fact does have ich, it would be best to move him to QT/Hospital tank and treat him accordingly. However sometimes it will cause him more stress. How big is the tang?

siany

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
glasgow
Hi.
I'm not sure if you can see from these piccies but he's got a few darker marks on his body although we bought him with some of them i don't know if there's more now. he's swimming around a lot more today and eating and there's still no sign of any spots. i think he may be scratching less as well.

2 clown fish, 2 yellow tailed damsels, 2 purple firefish, 10 hermit crabs, 5 turbo snails.

ph 8.1
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 or below

its 300 litre tank

fISHIES 092.jpg fISHIES 087.jpg fISHIES 084.jpg

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
I am usure at this point if its the colour of the photo or the fish, but it looks very pake indeed to me. If its the fish, the pale colour of the fish indecates the fish either stressed or unhealthy. These fish should be very vibrant in colour, as per the attched photo, to show the difference..From the photo, i dont see any signs of ich on the fish, from what i can tell anyway. Do the damsels pay much attention to the tang? What were the colours like compared to when you purchased the fish? has it changed much in appearance or vibrance?

Niko

PowderBlueTang.jpg

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Thats alot bigger than I was expecting. I believe that earlier he mentioned that it was the same color as when he got it, unless I misread. If he is starting to act better maybe he was just stressed from the initial move. He does look quite pale in color than he should. Maybe he was having a hard time at the LFS. How big of a tank was he in? Keep an eye on him, I don't see any obvious signs of ICH from the picture.

siany

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
glasgow
Hi.
thanks again for all you help. He's the same colour as when i got him. (wish i'd researched before hand his proper colours, i saw him in the shop and wanted to take him home.)He was in a standard very small tank in the shop. To me he looks malnutritioned. The darker areas aren't reaised, they just look like blemishes and if anything i think they look more indented.All my other fish are leaving him alone. He's still scratching a bit.
What does the garlic do? Will it effect my other fish if they eat the food with it on?
Sian

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store