*sigh* Ram is sick, but I don't know what's wrong...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
No clear external symptoms. He is definitely not his usual self, though. He's been hanging around the bottom (he usually swims around), has darkened and has overall lost his color. His eyes are no longer red. What is going on? What could it be?

Params are fine, and I just did a water change. I don't know what's going on. :(

riddle4sphinx

AC Members
Jul 19, 2006
Illinois
I've never kept rams, but I always thought they needed at least about 20gallons of swimming room and that they liked to be in pairs?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
what are the exact parameters of your tank? How long has it been established? What is your maintenance routine? Is the ram eating?

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Params:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Been established for over a year.

Maintenance routine is 30% water change weekly.

I made a thread a few days back about how I thought my Ram was blind because he picks in the gravel AROUND the food, as if he can't see it...but when he does "find" a bit of food (either flake food or blood worms), he eats it vigorously. The past few days, though, he hasn't been eating very much.

I've been treating my tank with Jungle Parasite Food for the last few weeks because my Cardinals' poop was white and stringy. The Cardinals seem to be doing better, but now the Ram is lethargic. The Oto seems fine.

thereke187

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
rams are touchy man, i think they get stressed really easily, i havent had much luck with them...... i also think that you have to have your temp pretty high for them(82 -85)f.....and as someone else in this thread mentioned they like to have some tankmates of thier own kind with them

leighasnana

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Rams are very sensitive, they like their water warm and I think soft. When water changes are done it's best to change out small amounts as they are sensitive to any change. If you got your ram at a lfs it will be even more sensitive. I've been told that the breeders give them hormones to bring out their colours earlier. Mine have always died. I love these fish and have finally found a local breeder. I'm hoping to have better luck with fish that have been bred in local water without hormones. Good luck with your fish.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
whats the ph and gh of your water?
the parasite food is only supposed to be fed for 3 days at a time.

rsanz

The Peacock Gudgeon Guy
Aug 22, 2006
Maryland
Real Name
Rob
Camera Used
Sony
Yes, yes. I have been feeding the parasite food as directed on the bottle. The water temp. is constant @ 85 degrees F.

Perhaps I did too large of a water change. I did about 40%. I guess it's not good to do that much of a change? The problem is that in order to get all of the junk off the gravel on the bottom, I have to be vacuuming for a little bit, and by that time a significant amount of water has been siphoned out.

(Sorry for the slow responses...Architecture Grad. student here doing my best with an extremely busy schedule).

Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to answer my thread!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I've never kept rams, but I always thought they needed at least about 20gallons of swimming room and that they liked to be in pairs?
One is actually fine for a ten gallons.
rams are touchy man, i think they get stressed really easily, i havent had much luck with them...... i also think that you have to have your temp pretty high for them(82 -85)f.....and as someone else in this thread mentioned they like to have some tankmates of thier own kind with them
The temperature is fine for rams. They don't do well in cold water more than warm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store