Hospital cowfish: Death is near

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
Today while in the loby of a hospital I was observing one of the marine tanks one so often see there. There was a rather thin looking toby. A lone chromis and a pair of clowns. There was also a one-eye tang. Then I look to the sump intake and I see a barely living jeuvenile cowfish caught in there.
I ask a worker and they tell me that a company installed it and maintained it. Have you heard of this sort of buisness? Why would you keep a cowfish if you would not atleast check on it a few times a day? A cowfish of all fishes, the tank was like like a bomb with the timer with a few minutes left and counting.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Yes, commerical tank maintenance can be a sizable chunk of a local aqaurium store's sales. There are also aquarists that do just tank set-up and maintenance. There are some really good people out there doing this and as you've witnessed some not so good ones. It is also hard to say that it is the fault of the maintenance provider and not the fault of the hospital. It could be that they've not paid, cut down on service, who knows really. Did you consider going to the administrative offices and reporting it?

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
That is sad,Sounds like the company or someone isn't doing their job.I agree with Grins I would report it.The two marine LFS we have here will sit up and mantaine tanks for owners but it costs alot for them to do it.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Tank maintenance is definitely big business for those that do it well. Rates start at $75 / hour where I live, not including the cost of any water, equipment, supplies, or livestock.

It's sad to hear of tanks that are so poorly maintained, regardless of the reason. Unfortunately, the person working there you pointed it out to probably doesn't know anything about keeping saltwater fish. Even the person that is responsible for setting up the maintenance and paying the bill for it may not know anything about saltwater tanks. Surprisingly, but still true, many people that pay to have tanks set-up and running in their offices / buildings wouldn't know if the tank they're paying for is a disaster waiting to happen or a thriving sucess.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
The sad part of this is.. The tank is going to be kept based on the Hospitals financial commitment to the commercial tank maintenance person. There are hospitals here locally that have FW tanks, but I know from the guy who takes care of them that they only pay for 1 visit every two weeks. He has advised them against poor maintenance but they say "Its just not in the budget".. They take care of the daily feeding and its basically whoever has time..

Sad.

zhonk

Crazy Ted
Nov 5, 2006
Northwest US
It makes me wonder if the hospital is the one who picks the stocking. I think any experienced aquariast should know better about cows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store