Hornwort

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
For some reason, my hornwort is yellowing a bit. I heard that hornwort should be able to toleratre a bit of salt. Right now, I have a 20H and maybe about4 or 5 tablespoons of salt in there in a small cup. I have a 2.5wpg, a 50 watt light fixture I made. I put in about 1 tablespoon of the kent freshwater plant a week, well usually 2 tbs. I will start DIY co2 again. What could be the problem? Also, is it like a stem plant so that I can cut a tall one and just plant the half in?

thanks

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Yes, you can cut the stem and replant both sections and both will grow. Why are you using salt? Hornwort often yellows or browns just a bit....do you have any pics?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
salt because it is going to be a very lowend brackish tank. i'll try to get some pics. SO it is normal that it's a bit yellow?

shoreliner

AC Members
Mar 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
www.vdh.virginia.gov
I'm not a plant expert so take this FWIW.
My hornwort has a reddish brown color to the actively growing tips. It became obvious when I added more light---all of the apical points starting growing like crazy and turned sort of brownish red (under the green). I'll try to take a pic.

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
Like mgamer said maybe add ferts....can't hurt just follow the directions. It looks ok to me, my hornwort grows like crazy and has always been slightly off color at the tips.

Quartermain

From the deepest darkest abyss
Jan 10, 2005
I think high light also has the effect of turning Hornwort brown at the tips. Yours looks exactly as it does in my tanks, $eaba$$, and it grows as if cellular division is going out of style. Looks healthy to me.

-edit-

I should learn to read. I see now you mentioned it was turning a bit yellow. That I don't know. :\

Last edited:

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
hornwort is a floating plant, and will not root.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store