sick fire belly toad

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
lathargic and very bloated...
theres definitely something wrong, but im not sure what it is..

ive already missed my first class so ill try to get a picture when i get home
please help, he looks so miserable :sad:

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
ive posted pictures on previous threads...
3 frogs in a 20 long with mostly water..a turtle dock and some rocks for land. heater, filter.
i change most of the water and clean the tank twice a week.
they eat just crickets..

ive treid to research what it might be but only found constipation or dropsy..
i didnt know frogs could get dropsy..
i took him out and put him in his own little container on top of a heating pad.
hes more bloated today and his face is even getting swollen...
he looks like hes about to pop.

is there anything at all i could do to make the swelling go down even a lttle bit?

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
if it comes down to it, does anybody know the most humane way to euthanize a fire bellied toad?
ive read that orajel on the skin is best, but how much?

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
A lot of the ways aren't really "humane" as they still feel the pain. People saying freezing animals is okay and doesn't hurt them, but it really does. This has been debated a lot over different forums. Best bet, if you really are concerned, find a herp vet.
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/mass.html

It is your pet and as a responsibility you are suppose to take care of it. I've taken leopard geckos to the vet, they were only a $20 pet as well. I feel bad letting them be in pain and suffer, I'd rather spend the money and make them happy. I'm about to be taking my other rescue gecko in as well.

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
if i had the money i would have taken him in the day it happened.
most vets around here charge 35-50 dollars for just making an apointment..
im in college and barely even have enough money for gas to get to my classes
ive been looking all day, and i just cant find any information on fire-belly toad illness or cures...

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Believe me. I'm in college, working part time, and to be seen at a vet for a herp here is $80+. I've got 6 lizards to feed plus care for. I just give up certain things each week, like living off pb&j or ramon, etc. Guess it's just the sacrifices some people make for things. I know several people that have had to do it, and some vets will even let you pay back so much at a time. Just have to call around and ask how it works.

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
well hes getting worse by the day now..i looked through that website you sent me, and i live about 5 minutes away from wignals and i had no idea they took herps..
ill call when they're open tomorrow..

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Goodluck. You could call a few places and get prices to see and what needles, etc, cost. I live in an area where a vet visit for a gecko can run you $200+ for just a small issue. Start watching sale ads, find yourself cheap food, avoid eating out, and whatever else you have to do. I've sold off extra aquariums and things I have laying around on craigslist just to afford things now.

kerrid

AC Members
Mar 10, 2007
Boston
just got back from the vet
54 dollars just for making an appointment haha
she said his tissues are full of fluid and it could be from many different causes.
he was injected with baytril (antibiotic)
and i was given the same antibiotic to give him orally once a day.
she also gave me solutions to soak him in ..
"Amphibian Ringer's Solution (ARS):
6.6g NaCl
0.15g KCl
0.15g CaCl2
0.2g NaHCO3
in 1 L water"
before she gave me this, she said soak in a 5% NaCl solution for a few minutes each day..
i think i just might do that because im not sure if i can get all but the NaCl.

any input or ideas are welcome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store