Severum in a community planted tank???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spunky

AC Members
What is the likelihood of a (turquoise) severum living well in a planted community tank… (Here, I have mostly read about putting them with Oscars and the like. I only have a 75 gal with no ability to upgrade, so that would not work.)

I have read about eating plants (mine does not so far but is only 2.5”)…
I have also read that it can do well with dither fish… read once about neons.. and then more about barbs and tetras… Does size matter as much as swiftness?
I was also thinking about a few 3 to 3.5” cichlids, and some yoyo loaches as well….

What do you think? Could I pull it off if it continues as a mild tempered cichlid? Or do I need new ideas?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
my understanding is they may dig up the plants..

tankboy_taylor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2007
Salem,NH
I have a 6" Gold Sev in my 75 community that includes small tetras and rams and he never bothers them only time I ever even see a hint of agession is when he is competing with my fat loaches for food.

As for plants tho my Sev has torn the few live plants in my tank to shreds

azharleydude

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Phoenix Arizona
I have over 20 severums at the moment ranging in size from 2" to 10". The WILL tear your plants apart. Shreading is a more discript word for it. They will also eat other fish. I feed my Severums guppies and they are very fast at chasing them down. They are even better night time predators. They will stock their prey at night and catch them off guard. I have a moon light to watch the action. It is very impressive. Tankboy has been very lucky with his tetras in my opinion and it is just a matter of time.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have over 20 severums at the moment ranging in size from 2" to 10". The WILL tear your plants apart. Shreading is a more discript word for it. They will also eat other fish. I feed my Severums guppies and they are very fast at chasing them down. They are even better night time predators. They will stock their prey at night and catch them off guard. I have a moon light to watch the action. It is very impressive. Tankboy has been very lucky with his tetras in my opinion and it is just a matter of time.
True that.;)

dingogirl66

AC Members
Mar 12, 2006
I had a 7in severum that lived in a completlely aquascaped aquarium with tetras and never touched anything. They don't dig as much as some cichlids.

MaryPa

AC Members
Oct 21, 2003
York Co.Pennsylvania
Visit site
When your Severum grows up it`ll dig,spit the substrate all over the place and munch out on every plant in the tank. They very frisky critters but a very neat fish to have. Mine are like aquatic puppies. Severums and planted tanks don`t go together.:grinno:

cruzersoul

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
There are certain types of plants that you can buy that you rseverum will not eat. I dont know exactly what they are called but I have an 8 in turquoise severum that doesnt touch pay the leat bit of attention to those plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store