refractometer ?s

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluegrizzlies1

AC Members
Oct 7, 2007
utah
I just got my refractrometer and I did everything it said it looks like it is just at or a little under the 30 mark.

So where should it be at Im thinking under the 30 mark so I might have to take some water out and add some fresh water to get it down.

Stupid hydrometer what I pile of junk it reads 1024.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
You should be around 34 to 35 ppt. I personally shoot for 33 to 34 ppt because of daily evaporation

bluegrizzlies1

AC Members
Oct 7, 2007
utah
So I need to add some salt to it how do I go about doing this all I have is water and sand.

LR wont be here till mon or tue I wanted to get it all set with the temp at the right place before the rock came.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Looking forward to seeing your development.

I stress this to all new people.. While I know you are excited and new in the hobby take the time to read and read everything you can.. Take it slow and steady and you'll eventually end up with the amazing system that you want.

I am by no means an expert but this has been impressed on me by others and so far I haven't been disappointed with the advice.

Sonicblast12

AC Members
Aug 9, 2006
After reading the salt mixing thread, and this thread...I'm starting to get pretty suspicious of my hydrometer's accuracy.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Hydrometers are notoriously inaccurate and can wreak havok in a marine system. There are some that are better than others but ultimately your best bet is to just break down and purchase a refractometer. You can get a decent one with temperature compensation for as little as 50 bucks or a really good one for quite a bit more..

FishPassion

AC Members
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa Canada
OH? Grins :) do u have a really good one for sale cause Im looking for one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store