Old Post - for BK

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
BK

posted October 23, 2002 01:32 PM IP: Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BK

posted October 23, 2002 01:35 PM IP: Logged

first and second are of the same fish. the spotted in pic 3 is the same one in the back below the flash pleco in the 4th.

yannfulliquet

posted October 23, 2002 01:36 PM IP: Logged

Hi!
Neat!
One is obviously a Panaqolus sp L204 and the other one look like a juvenil Hyancistrus L102 ( the different shade of black in the fins) still it is funny that he has some line on the head region but this happen with young specimens!
Cheers
Yann

BK

posted October 23, 2002 03:25 PM IP: Logged

When I bought them I thought that they were LDA 31 because of the picture that I viewed and the fact that they were wild caught in Peru. Each of the 2 spotted ones are a different shade of black and one has perfectly round spots and the other has a mixture of different types of ovals, spots, and lines. Both markings on both are gold-yellow. The 1st and 2nd pictures are of the darker one with larger abnormal spots and the 3rd is the one with the round small spots. Aren't L102 from Brazil?
In the last Picture there is actually two fish, the L204 and The fish from the 3rd picture but he is really hard to see. I will try to take some better pictures.

Hypancistrus-zebra

posted October 23, 2002 04:44 PM IP: Logged

KEWL!!! Gotta love those little guys!

BK

posted October 24, 2002 12:09 AM IP: Logged

they have really suprised me with how active they all are. they are always out and about. they seem to be eating a lot of driftwood because they aren't eating much of the spirulina disks, shrimp pellets, or cucumber i have tried to feed them yet they are producing an astonishing amount of waste and i notice the wood getting smaller on one of the thin pieces. is it usual for them to pass up other forms of food and eat mainly driftwood. i am planning to try some frozen blood worms but until next week the local store is out of them.

yannfulliquet

posted October 24, 2002 12:20 AM IP: Logged

Hi!
Well How are the teeth like, does they look like yellow little spoon which in this case would make it a Panaqolus sp, eventually albomaculatus, if the teeth in the upper jaws look different and there is more than in the lower jaw , the theeth in the lower jaw are very few and look like fork curve inside towards the center of the mouth well no doubt it is a Hypancistrus sp possibly L102!
Cheers
Yann

BK

posted October 24, 2002 03:42 PM IP: Logged

isn't there any way to tell besides viewing the teeth. they don't really suck onto the glass long enough for me to get a glimps and it would be very hard to catch them to look at the teeth. I am pretty sure that they are wild caught from peru, do L102 come from peru? PlanetCatfish says L102 come from Brazil and the Rio Negro. Don't L102 have really big eyes.

BK

posted October 24, 2002 04:29 PM IP: Logged

one looks almost exactly like this. http://aquaworks.net/plecos/details.php?lnumber=102 is this picture definitly L102. the other spotted looks nothing like this. i am almost sure they were wild caught in peru. The place i ordered them from seemed certain on this. what gold spotted plecos come from peru?
do Leporacanthicus galaxias come from peru?
[This message has been edited by BK (edited October 24, 2002).]

BK

posted October 24, 2002 05:18 PM IP: Logged

sorry, double post.

[This message has been edited by BK (edited October 24, 2002).]

Cartman

posted October 24, 2002 07:03 PM IP: Logged

If I'm seeing the tail correctly in that top picture there's no way it's a Hypancistrus. You said Peru is where the shipment came out of, I know they've been exporting out a ton of "new" Panaqolus Sp. lately. One in particular keeps on coming back to me, they're calling it Panaqolus Galaxias, but it supposedly has a yellow(Mustard) tinge to it's spots. Since you can't see the dentition and I can hardly see the pleco in your picture maybe you can tell me how far the mouth decends? Is it possible this is a Scobinancistrus L133? My only problem w/ them is much like L102 they come from Brazil.

BK

posted October 24, 2002 08:03 PM IP: Logged

they were sold as gold spotted galaxis. from the picture of them i saw before i ordered them i assumed were the same as mustard spot and possibly lda31. however my two don't look exactly the same as each other or the photo i saw. they seem to eat as much driftwood as the L204 wich makes me think they are a panaqulous. i don't think they are L133. the spots are yellow to goldish, definetly not bright white like those of the fish in the pic on planetcatfish. i will have to try and get a better look at how far the mouth extends.
here is the picture i was shown as to what the fish looked like when i purchased them. http://www.aquabid.com/auctionimages/fwcatfish1032902960.JPG

Cartman

posted October 24, 2002 08:05 PM IP: Logged

Yep there the panaqolus "galaxias" then. I'd even be willing to bet he imported them through Julio Melgar in Peru.

BK

posted October 24, 2002 11:16 PM IP: Logged

here is another picture http://ourworld.cs.com/Kraut491/5.jpg
i had a side view picture that showed how far the mouth stuck down but my roomate pressed the button on my web cam and overode it after i had already put the fish back in the tank.

yannfulliquet

posted October 25, 2002 12:35 AM IP: Logged

Hi!
Well it is difficult to say but it seem to me that it has little yellow-brown teeth which and its position on the lips make me think more like a Panaqolus sp!
Cheers
Yann

kgroenhoej

posted October 25, 2002 02:36 AM IP: Logged

Hi,
the picture on aquaworks is not a L102.
I'll guess it's a L204

Regarding LDA31 <> "galaxias" <> L204a:
You will be even more confused if you look at the pictures of LDA31 on PlanetCatfish :)

"galaxias" is the same fish sold as L204a in Denmark and in Germany.

-Klaus

BK

posted October 25, 2002 09:45 AM IP: Logged

the other fish with more regular spots looks almost exactly like this http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Gallerie/L-Welse/Bilder/Panaque albomaculatus.jpg
[This message has been edited by BK (edited October 25, 2002).]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store