Candy Cane Coral/Trumpet Coral..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I don't think there is a difference.. I have seen the names used interchangeably for the same coral.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Yep, it's pretty common for those two names to be used for the same coral. I've also seen a couple places call them torch corals, which can get confusing since there's a completely different coral that's also called a torch coral.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I googled both names and they came up the sames. I mean the same.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Good to know.. Thanks for the heads up.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I've got different Caulastrea species in my tank. I've been calling this one candy cane:

and this one (which is more fleshy) trumpet:

but it seems the common names are interchangeable for each type.

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
This is exactly why I hate the use of common names, "Caulastrea" at least ensures I know what genus of coral is being discussed, if the actual species is unknown, then simply Caulastrea sp. at least keeps us all on the same page. But what really starts me banging my head on the desk is the use of fad names such as "shield of light" and "superman"....aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Talk about dumbing down the hobby. Sorry, am ranting.

While I put this page together for ID purposes, I have also found that its a good study guide in getting me into the habit of using proper genus names also.

Pictorial Stony Coral Genus Groups

Chuck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store