sick clown fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
one of my clowns orange coloration is fading and it has a pink spot on the side of its head just above its gill. what might the problem be

my salinity is 1.024, ph 8.1, nitrate 0, ammonia 0

please help!!

Last edited:

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Do you have a pic that would help a lot..

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
well the sick or dying clown has died. but my other clown is doing fine. should i worry? it appears to be helthy. the colors are still bright and its still doing its usual actions.

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
we've only had them for about a week now. i dont have a camera so i cant take a pic, sorry. as for the syptoms, we only noticed late this morning. obviously we'll go back and talk to the guy we bought it from but my concern is for the other clown.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Without out seeing it we are really shooting in the dark. Clowns can be poor shippers, especially the wild caught ones. It could have been sick when you got it. The red mark could have also been a wound in the tank from something else in your tank. Not much to go on here. You could try looking at the disease page in the marine section of wetwebmedia.com and see if anything there looks familiar.

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
i know its not too much info to go on but i thank you for your help regardless. we are new to this hobby so i'm sure we'll have planty more questions in the future.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Sorry to hear you lost your clown..

amanda_

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
I was looking through the FAQs on a site and someone had a problem with their clown similar to mine. The clown was breathing really fast without any other real visible signs of illness. One of the suggestions was a possible sting from a poisonous invert. The clownfish usually hangs around the same rock as a sea cucumber we have. Is it possible that the bright pink spot on the clown is in fact a burn and could that be why it died?

Tricity

AC Members
Dec 14, 2009
That's a possibility but highly unlikely. Fish have strong survival instincts and know to stay away from things that can harm them. It may have been some kind of parasite. To be safe, I would recommend giving the remaining clownfish a freshwater dip for about 5 minutes. Just make sure the water is almost the same temperature as the tank water so you don't shock it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store