20H Brackish Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Since no one realy posts or replies in the brackish section, I'm going to try and just post here, and if it is absolutely not aloud, please move or delete this thread. Well, I have a 20H and I just am converting it from planted to brackish water. I had a planted tank but I just sold my plants and I have added some decorations. I have some fake plants, I a fake plastic rock thing with 3 holes in it, and I have a fake yelow coral. For filtration I have a Aqua Clear 150 and also I had for co2 a Hagen Elite internal filter. It is a very small filter that I will just use as a powerhead, well I think I will, even though I'm not exactly sure what a powerhead is (I think it just blows water to keep movement) as I don't really need to filter it. Would it be a good idea to use this as a "water mover"? Also, where would be the best place to put the "filter"/"powerhead"? I have seen that in marine setups, at my LFS, that the marine tanks have powerheads and I wasn't sure if it's a good idea to have one for a brackish. I now have about 5 or 6 big tbs of marine salt in the water, so it is most likely a very low end brackish. Any ideas what it could be, just a guess? Fishwise, I have A GSP and an about 1 in. mono argentus. I know that these fish will need to be moved into bigger aquariums, don't worry. They are both still small and they have plenty of room here, but as they grow, they will get a larger aquarium. I will post pics later. Oh and what is a good temp?

Thanks a lot!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You really need to get a hydrometer or refractometer to measure your SG or salinity. I know the brackish folks do this just as we marine ones do. A powerhead helps agitate the water and create a chaotic flow like ocean currents. This helps with gas exchange, avoiding dead spots for waste and food to settle and provide the flow that some stony corals and sea fans require. Positioning them is a bit of trial and error, you are trying to avoid areas of the tank being still. I'm not at all sure how much flow you want in a brackish tank however, and I don't know much else about brackish. Have you tried to read the stickies there? Sploke wrote a good getting started piece I believe. I think Niko posted it there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store