EBJD's Breeding!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azharleydude

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Phoenix Arizona
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Ok folks, you know the pictures of the "Black EBJD's" that I posted in the gallery???? Well, I forget who told me that it may be breeding colors but...... THEY WERE RIGHT!!!!!!!

They have stopped doing the courtship dance, which lasted over a week now, and begun to make a 'nest'. The female has been moving rocks, with her man at her side, for several days now. They are both running off all other fish in the tank, a 210 gallon, including severums and other EBJD's. They have claimed the one end of the tank for themselves.

When I came home today I could see what I believe to eggs dangling from the female but can not see any in the 'nest'. The male follows close behind and shakes all over the 'nest' after the female does her dance in there.

I am keeping my fingures cross that she actually produces eggs and getting a 45 gallon tank ready to move them into for privacy.

Here are the questions I have as this is my first time trying to breed these. I know that no one has been able to raise viable fry from 2 EBJD's so I want to do everything I can with this pair to take my best shot at it happening.

Question 1: Should I move them now after they have made their 'nest' in this tank or wait until round two??? I am almost 100% sure this first batch of eggs will be pilfered by tank mates. Whether it be the severums or plecos or tire track eel. I would think that if they do it once they would continue to be a pair. Right?

Question 2: Tank perameters for new breeding tank for the pair. They will be the only ones in the tank. All glass bottom with just breeding cone? Water temp? I have very hard water here in Phoenix and no immediate access to RO or other soft water.

I sure love watching this all go down. I have another pair that are seeming to take lessons from the first pair and warming up to each other as well.

As I write this I just noticed the Tire Track eel sneaking in and munching down on something buried in the rocks. It will be several days before I can get the 45 gal tank ready. Im afraid I am all ready too late.:wall:

Any advice will be welcomed. Thank you.

Just FYI, the pair are specimens that I purchesed from Jeff Rapps approx 6 months ago at 1.5" in size.

azharleydude

AC Members
Oct 18, 2007
Phoenix Arizona
Ok, I think that I go lucky. I got my net out to run the eel off myself and he darted off! I believe he went into his house, a artifical piece of wood that is hollow, and I removed it and put it in my 125 gallon. I will keep a close eye out and see what happens next.

Dang, now Im affraid to leave for work tomarrow. I think I will make it a priority to get the 45 set up asap. Unless you all convince me otherwise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store