Betta biotope tank?.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Just curious and a possible future tank setup.
I guess rice plants since they live in rice paddies?...what else?.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Rice paddies aren't exactly their true native habitat. They live in them the same as mice live in the walls of houses. Not to mention the fact that betta splendens as you would find in a store is so far removed from the wild type that no true biotope can be made for them unless you find one very close in color and finnage to the original. Not impossible, but difficult.

A betta splendens as per pet store with its bright colors and flowing fins would be a big blinking "eat me!" beacon to predators in their original biotope. This would be peat swamps, bogs, very slow streams and shallow pools, and rarely, large puddles leftover from floods.

Anyway, if you are into the idea the best information I have for plants they might encounter in their native habitats would be blyxa spp, hygrophila corymbosa, pogostemon helferi, cyperus helferi and by introduction there could be java fern and java moss.

Little current if any. Remember they are a labyrinth fish and as such can live in almost completely stagnant conditions. (Not saying you should subject them to that though!) Subdued lighting either from low wattage or from a plant canopy. (Cyperus helferi is great for this application.) Substrate would vary depending upon the location - but much of their geographical area has iron rich substrates and laterite deposits. Lots of mud and sediment as well. Plenty of organic matter especially in the peat swamps. But I wouldn't recommend the peat in your substrate as it can lead to an overabundance of organic matter. Maybe look to a reddish sand or Flourite or a mixture of both? Use peat filtration however. If you have ever seen the colors of a betta in a black water tank you would be sold on it as I am.

Hope this helps.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Yes it does, thanks.
Also I am completely aware that the domesticated long-finned betta splendens looks very different from the wild breed.
I still think a couple of domesticated bettas would look awesome in a biotope tank.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
They sure would. I keep a wonderfully wild looking female in my Thai black water pool tank and she is tops. Picked a healthy blyxa aubertii as her permanent home. I can always depend on seeing her emerge from it every morning when the lights come on. And at night when the moonlights are illuminated, she casts this wonderfully mysterious and evocative silhouette as she goes to "bed."

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
despite the fact that store bettas are completely different from wild bettas, it would be pretty cool to make a biotope setup like that.

too bad I have no idea about their wild habitat.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Ohhh almond leaves. I forgot about my recent interest in those.

Experiences to share?
Great for use. I get unlimited supplies all the time.:thm: These leach too much tannic acids which are quite suitable for all bettas, gouramis, tetras and other soft acidic water dwellers.:) I replace mine every two weeks with new ones.

Habitat:

Check other links...
http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/pontian.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Ayer_Hitam_last1.htm

http://www.ikanpemburu.com/html/field/Thailand2.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store