"Mystery" mystery snail deaths

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
~10 days ago I received 10 brigs "mystery" snails from dakotagirl. Very healthy looking, active and colorful. I added them to my 75G with 7 Goldfish and a common pleco.

Yesterday I noticed the largest one was having trouble righting itself so I flipped it over. Today it was dead...empty shell. Found 2 other dead ones and pieces of a body. Found 6 alive, moved them to other tanks. Have a couple Dozen adult ramshorns in there also, found 1 dead, 2 having trouble. Dead ones were the larger ones, in both species.

ph 7.5, ammonia, nitrites 0,0
KH 4, GH 8

All pretty much normal...except I couldnt read GH with my API kit, I was over 30 with no color chg. GH 8 with tetra kit.

Changed plain filters for new carbon...added aquasafe "detoxifies heavy metals" well, because I had it and it was worth a shot.

Recently did a ~40% WC, last WC about 4 weeks ago. Also just added 3 large 15" tall amazon sword plants. Plants QT'd for a week, but ya never know...

-Did the plants bring something bad into the tank?

-Did my WC bring on OTS? Fish are doing fine.

-Did the pleco or the GF attack the snails?

-Something else???

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
Do you use ferts? Have you treated with meds lately? what is your nitrate reading, you said your last water change was a month ago, sometimes inverts are more sensitive to nitrates. Regardless, sorry to hear about your snails. Are they doing okay now that they are in different tanks?

Dakotagirl

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
North Dakota
Hi kj5kb,

Sorry to hear about your snails. Do you know what your nitrates are in the tank? That would be my first guess as to what happened to them. But if you have any left that look like they can't right themselves or seem too heavy to turn themselves over and crawl, try taking them out and putting them in a container with fresh dechlorinated water just enough to cover their shells and leave them for a while. Try to make the temp close to what it is in the tank. You might have to do this a couple times to get the nitrate poisoning out of them if that is the case. I hope this helps save the ones you have left. You can also put them on a damp paper towel for about 10 minutes and see if that helps but most of the time the dechlorinated water in a container works better I think.

Another thing can be injury from the goldfish knocking them off the glass but I don't think it would affect all of them that fast. I have a feeling that after the big snail died either the goldfish or the pleco ate it as that is a common occurance.

This happened to someone else before so I checked on applesnail.net as to why the snail couldn't seem to right itself and was told that it is a common occurance due to ammonia/nitrite poisoning, nitrate poisoning, other poisoning, tankmates harrassing the snail, and a few other reasons but I really do think it is come kind of poisoning since it is affecting all of them and not just one or two.

I had 3 smaller fancy goldfish in my 40 gallon tank with my snails and never had a problem although I did partial water changes twice a week and had two big aquaclear filters on the tank since goldfish are "piggies" lol. From having had goldfish I wonder if doing partial water changes once a month is going to be enough to keep your nitrates in the safe range for snails.

I hope this helps to figure out what happened to them.

Barb

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Well...color me stupid.

Didn't realize my test kit didn't actually do nitrAtes...I've always thought they were zero, but neither my API or Tetra master kits test for it. I will be ordering one soon...like tomorrow!!!

All brigs have been removed from tank-4 in my newly cycled 20H and three in my half-full 10G plant tank. Seem fine so far. The ramshorns in the tank now seem fine. The ram death may have been a coincidence...they do die form time to time. I have seen the brigs on top of the rams too. Whether crawling over or eating I couldn't tell.

Well, we know it wasn't ammonia or nitrite.

Could have been my fert tabs, I did use a LOT (one per 5 gal and I put 12 in my 75G)

Clarification: It had been 4-5 weeks since a water change, I changed ~40%, added the three huge amazon swords and fert tabs a few days BEFORE I added the snails. I wouldn't have thought nitrate was a factor, but will test to be sure!

I have also heard of plecos opening the trap door and eating the snails...but not sure how common that actually is.

Going to leave water as-is and see about getting a nitrAte kit tomorrow.

Dakotagirl

AC Members
Nov 27, 2006
North Dakota
I always battled nitrates when I had my goldfish and snails in my 40 gallon that is why I did so many water changes. Good filtration keeps nitrites and ammonia in check but water changes are the only way to get rid of nitrates I think. If it is nitrates at least you know what it was that did this and you won't lose any more snails.

Goldfish, pleco's, and snails are all big ummm...poopers so I am betting on it being a nitrate problem. But I don't use any ferts except Leaf Zone and the ones you put in the substrate (can't remember what they are called at the moment) so I really don't know a whole lot about them.

I am sure now that the snails are in different water they will be fine.

Good Luck!

Barb

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
You don't want your nitrAtes to be at zero. But you do want them below 20ppm. A nitrate reading of zero would inditicate a tank that hasnt yet been cycled. As far as the snails go... they are more sensitive to water problems like ammonia ect... you might check the date on your test kit. If it is over a year old, then you should get a new one. I have Aquarium Pharmecuticals test kit and it tests for nitrates.

Anyway... loss just after shipment and high stress really isn't that uncommon. It happens. But snails don't attack each other as one poster said. They will eat the remains of a dead snail though. If you didn't already know... you do need to feed your snails veggies and such. They can't just live on the leftover fish food if you want them to be healthy. Although I doubt that yours starved. It was more likely a stress or water related issue. Oh, and if you have ever used any copper medicines in the tank, it may be causing your problem as snails are more related to parasites than they are fish and those medicines are harmful to them.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Turns out I only lost 2 not 3, small consolation tho. One I THOUGHT was dead appears to be OK.

Nitrate, Phosphate and Copper test kits on order, should be here tomorrow.

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
Nitrate, Phosphate and Copper test kits on order, should be here tomorrow.
Ok, it's tomorrow...

Here are some results (all PPM), tested with API kits.:

Cold Tap Water nitrates 0, phosphate 1
Hot tap water nitrates 0 phosphate 2 (interesting!)

75G goldfish tank nitrates ~40, phosphate 10 Copper 0
(water sample before last WC 2 weeks ago: nitrates higher, btwn 40-80)

10G platy fry tank nitrates 40, phosphate 2 (gets occasional ferts, usually liquid) Already knew it needed a WC.

20H endlers tank nitrates 5, phosphate 5

Half full 10G plant tank (has 4 of the brigs in it): nitrates less than 5, phosphate 5 (added a couple plant tabs two weeks ago)

"conclusions"
-Copper wasn't the problem; I thought some might have snuck in there somehow.
-Obviously need to do a 40% WC on the 75G...and another in a week, etc.
-No more fert tabs for awhile...and none in tanks with brigs.
-10G needs a change
-Better to use cold water vs hot...now i know why. I did that test 3x and got same results
-Endlers apparently don't poop much; or I have plenty of plants in there
-I need to test for nitrates and phosphates!

kj5kb

Mar 1, 2007
Real Name
Don
75G down to Nitrates 20, phosphates 5 after 2 PWCs

Gonna watch the numbers for a few weeks before I decide whether to put the brigs back.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store