Eclipse is to freshwater as (blank) is to saltwater....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PPMN

Who could resist this face??
I have two freshwater tanks that are doing very well, I would love (I mean LOVE) to get into saltwater. I would like to set up a nano reef and am looking for a all in one set up. I have an Eclipse freshwater system and with the exception of the poor lighting I like that it had everything I needed. I am looking for some sort of cube for saltwater that has everything, filtration, skimmer, or whatever. Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like something between 10 and 25 gallons and unfortunately can't afford more than about $200 (am I nuts here?).

Thanks in advance for any help.

PPMN

I'd like to have a small reef, but I have some research to do first because I am CLUELESS when it comes to saltwater.

Thanks for the links!!

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
hard to start a reef tank if u cant go over 200. it is always pricey unless its just live sand and damsels

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
5 gallon tank, biggest aqua clear filter maybe a small powerhead, Live rock and a light between 30-50 watts would do great for a nano.

you could get all that between 200 and 300 bucks.

only cation i can offer for a small tank is that do to evaporation its is more difficult to maintain your levels in a smaller tank.

(i.e. you have to work a lil harder)

PPMN

hard to start a reef tank if u cant go over 200. it is always pricey unless its just live sand and damsels
no, no, I mean I don't want to go over $200 for the tank setup itself. I know fish, coral, other critters, etc. will cost me more...way more.

BeezleBob, wouldn't I need a "skimmer" too?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
in small tanks you cant get away without a skimmer. Skimmers are generally used on tanks 29 gallons plus..

My set up would be like bobs, but i would use a 10 gallon, not a 5. 5 is too small to keep most fish, you can but a clownfish in a 10 (I wouldnt myself, but lots of people do).

Id also get the aquaclear and put as much Liverock into the filter as possible, where you tend to spend most of your big money is the lighting, but with small tanks its not nearly as bad.

List.
10 gallon- 10 bucks
Aquaclear 110- 50 bucks
Glass top- 20 bucks (maybe?)
Light- depends on preference (70w Metal Halide or Power compact)prob.around 125.

there it is all set up for 205 bucks.
but keep in mind... you want at least 10 lbs of live rock (more usually) fish, sand, and coral.

Lastly, if you could afford it i would highly suggest a RO filter. Really makes life a lot easier... but i found with my nano doing a 25% WC weekly without having one was not hard, just buy 5 gallons worth and your good for 2 weeks.

For salt i use instant ocean.

You need a refractormeter or hydrometer as well to measuer salt levels (hydro is cheaper but less acurate).

Thats all i can think of right now, but i'm sure im missing some things here and there...

HTH
J

PPMN

in small tanks you cant get away without a skimmer. Skimmers are generally used on tanks 29 gallons plus..
Did you mean you can get away without a skimmer? I'm confused.

In those nano cubes, is the lighting adequate or would it require an upgrade? Just curious.

And here's a dumbo question, what is the lighting for? The anenomes? The coral? The rock?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
yes, i meant can.. sorry.

In the cubes the lighting is sufficent for most anything except for some higher end corals and inverts.

Lighting is for corals... yes.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
see IMPO cubes suck ***.

they're chepo.and you have to scrap half of what they give you, and buy more.

if you just get a nice tank, drill it or spent the money on a RR tank, its very easy to get all the stuff you need, and still be right around what the cubes will cost.

i spent a lot of time before i set up my tank, and i was origionaly goin for a cube.

but for the $250 i woulda spent on the cube i got a tank, lights (that are waaaaay better than the cubes stock) rock, sand, a used skimmer and powerheads.

if i woulda bought the cube, i woulda spent the same, and have to buy everything but the tank again.

cubes are a waste of $$ IMHO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store