Frog/toad question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
Is there any such thing as a QUIET frog or toad? I've been toying with getting some, but I'm going to have some roommates soon. I don't mind croaking, but they might not be so keen.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I've never heard of of the frogs or toads I've owned make a noise. Most were just your typical toad you'd find on the street, and some different sorts of tree frogs. Some others might have different experiences.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only the boys are vocal, so get a girl.

(if only it were like that for *other* species)

I believe this is correct for Whites Tree Frogs. They are neat frogs. I personally don't do frogs for the noise reason now. I'll stick to my geckos, who only make noises if you tick them off.

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
So I just need to go around and lift up the frog's skirts to check before I buy?

I was thinking about it because I was remembering a couple of wild-caught treefrogs I had when I was younger (I know, bad RabbitMage!). They weren't obnoxious, but you could hear them through the WHOLE HOUSE. It sounded like it was the exact same volume no matter if you were next to the tank or across the house.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
If you end up with a male whites, their croak is pretty loud, loud enough to wake you up for a second then fall right back asleep lol
firebellys are pretty quiet, most toads are.

RabbitMage

AC Members
Jul 11, 2007
My plan initially was to get 3 or so mantella frogs of some variety, but I'm willing to switch plans up if they're going to be TOO noisy.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Just don't keep them next to your bed and you will be a lot better off. I've got 2 crested geckos next to my bed and I wake up several times a night to someone smacking the glass hard due to missing the branch, then falling. I used to get up and make sure they were okay, but now I don't. I still wake up. I could sleep through frogs better than sleep through things smacking into glass. I had to take the stones out of the leopard gecko cage because everything that'd go push them around and make a horrible noise. It was like a tradition, they did it until I came over and pushed them away from them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store