My Sterbai just spawned!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
There is love in the air in my 36g community tank...the gourami has built a bubble nest and he and the female are canoodling, the cherry shrimp are going wild, my apple snails are mating, and now tonight, my sterbais are spawning. I was able to collect about a dozen eggs from the tank (the cherry barbs were scarfing them down as quick as they were being laid). These are my first eggs, I need to know what to do with them! Right now I put them in some tank water in a tupperware until i figure out what to do. Any advice from the seasoned pros? Thanks

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
GRATS!

No experience (I've only ever "bred" livebearers, and they do that anyway... lol), but you should be able to find articles + other info at places like planetcatfish.com and scotcat.com.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
well right now they are in a tupperware floating in my main tank (hooked on with a chip clip, hi-tech I know). Gonna pick up an airstone first thing in the morning, wasn't planning on breeding them, but hey, I will give it a shot! Might just pick up a spare 10g while I am at it in case they survive. Cross your fingers!

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
Wow! You're an aquatic goddess of fertility! :eek:mg:

The airstone is a good idea, to keep the water circulating around the eggs. Beyond that, I'd suggest changing the water in the tupperware to keep it fresh until they hatch. Here's an article on breeding sterbai.

My guess is you may lose these eggs, but, since you've obviously created an environment the sterbai like, you'll probably see more spawnings. Might as well get that extra tank.

:thm:

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I read that article too, ironically, my tank temp is 82, and we are supposed to have snow tomorrow. He also put his eggs in a tupperware and added acriflavine (which I am planning on picking up in the morning)...perhaps i could have success. time will tell

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
i would put a little methylene blue in with the eggs so fungus doesnt kill them. i would also keep them well aerated with frequent water changes. how did you trigger them to breed? just curious, havent had luck with cories breeding.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
how did you trigger them to breed?
I have no idea how I triggered them. The gouramis were making a bubble nest a couple of days ago, don't know if that put "love in the air". We are also supposed to have snow tonight, maybe something barometric tickled their fancy.
Hopefully they will spawn alot, sterbais are $12 a piece around here.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
:: takes a number for 1/2" Sterbais ::

I think I've read that a fairly sudden temp change in the water (just 2-3°F, but pretty sudden) will induce spawning. Good luck! I've only seen Sterbais in my area once or twice, and they were a little "wild caught/dodgy" looking at that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store