Amano Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi, I was just wondering if Amano Shrimp could survive in low-mid end brackish water. I'm not sure if this should be in marine since I have low-mid end brackish water, but I know that Amano Shrimp are "freshwater" shrimp.

Thanks!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
All I know is that Amano shrimps have larva that best thrive when kept in brackish and marine conditions.

I want to stress that this shrimp can only be propagated if its larvae are transferred into saltwater/brackish water and back into freshwater when the larvae develop into postlarvae (i.e. mini-shrimp).. There are some dubious reports on the internet (one with a picture of an amphipod/scud claiming to be a "baby amano") purporting the "breeding" of this shrimp in total freshwater, but these "reports" are not to be trusted.

http://www.petshrimp.com/amanoshrimp.html

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Amano shrimp can live in up to 1.005

Be sure to acclimate them in.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I wouldn't say the internet is misleading on their breeding, I've only seen one report of someone claiming to have bred amanos in freshwater, which actually turned out to be scuds.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I fmy salinity was about 1.01 would the shrimp die most likely? Can any snails or shrimp or such be kept in about 1.01 salinity water?

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
MTS and Nerites. At 1.010, you can begin looking into marine invertebrates rather than freshwater.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
alright thanks. what could be some possible invertebrates in addtion to MTS and nerites? Also, will my amano shrimp die in 1.01 or so?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
just an update. I am now up to about 1.015 sg and my shrimp are still alive. It seems as they are doing just as well as they were in freshwater.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
How long have they been at that level? I doubt they'd do well long-term.

I don't understand the point of keeping amanos at high-end brackish though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store