Damselfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hi guys,

I heard from some LFS that damsels are very hardy and could possibly live temporarily in 1.010-1.020 salinity water. What do you guys say about this. If a damsel could temporarily live in this, how long could it stay in this low end salinity water?

thanks

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Most any SW fish could live indefinitely at this SG level assuming it was slowly brought down to this SG but why you would anyone want to? I think a Damsel could just about live in toilet water, hehe joke!

What is the point of the question?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
well the point is to ask if a damselfish could live in about 1.013 or so water salinity. So yes they could?

pebble

AC Members
Aug 14, 2007
i had a few damsels in a goldfish bowl with no heater, air pump, filter, nothing at all for a couple of days. i think they could, not sure how long tho.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
I'm pretty sure all marine fish can handle a salinity of 1.010, a salinity that low is considered a good treatment for marine ich. For extended periods of time however I think its better to have them in a salinity 1.020 or higher.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
thanks guys, does anyone have experience with this? Also, pebble, after a few days did the damsels die or you just put them in another tank? Right now, my 20H has a GSP and a small mono argentus, I know these will both require bigger aquariums but they are both still small. Should one damsel be fine with these fish?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
actually my green spotted puffer is only about an inch and a half maybe and is very calm and doesn't seem mean at all. I have had two amano shrimp in there for about half a year now, and the GSP for about 3 weeks and e doesn't even touch them. He swims right over them without doing anything. Also, he doesn't nip at all or attack my argentus at all. He is truly a very peaceful puffer, atleast at his current size. Anyways, I maybe be giving him away soon anyways.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...Right now, my 20H has a GSP and a small mono argentus, I know these will both require bigger aquariums but they are both still small. Should one damsel be fine with these fish?
I had a trio of small azure damsels in my 65gal reef tank, after a few weeks one of the three wasn't welcome in the tank and was almost killed. I placed the damsel in my high-end brackish (SG 1.016-1.017) green spotted puffer tank. I was a little concerned that the GSPs might try to eat him (this damsel was shredded up pretty bad and maybe half the size of the puffers), but all of my other tanks were freshwater and I had nowhere else to put it.

The very NEXT DAY (half expecting the damsel to be dead, either succumbing to its wounds or receiving additional damage from the puffers) I discovered that damsel was bullying all of my GSPs and it's aggression would especially intensify during feeding time and wouldn't allow the puffers to eat. Even wounded it took over my puffer tank.

Eventually the damsel was relocated into a marine fish only tank I set up with fish more aggressive than it (where it has behaved ever since). Good luck:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store