Instant Ocean Hydrometer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I just bought an instant ocean hydrometer, and so far, it is not as "moody" as I think people are saying hydrometers are. I filled it up several times with faucet water and waited for maybe a minute after, and each time my readings were fairly close. Each time I filed it, it showed about 1.001. None of the times was it more than a .002 difference in the readings. So, to keep it in good shape what must I do? It said to rinse it with fresh water before and after each salt water use. After rinsing it with freshwater after having my salt water reading, must I attempt to dry out the inside or can I just let the inside of it dry by itself?

Thanks!

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I'd rinse it with bottled water instead of water from the tap. The tap will have dissolved solids to some degree. Unless of course you live in colorado and have spring water from the tap.

You don't need to dry it out. Just rinse it in freshwater to flush off the saltwater so it doesn't give you a bogus reading.

I've had mine for many years and it still works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store