brackish plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pufferfishi8

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
philadelphia
Visit site
can anyone recommend some easy to grow salt-tolerant plants for my puffer tank? its a twenty gallon with a little less than a teaspoon of sea salt per gallon, i change the water frequently and purposely vary the amounts of salt (ie less in spring, heavier in winter) so the salinity is unstable. naturally hard water, high ph, moving from 15 to 30 watts of light. i'm currently growing small, slow bunches of java moss and scraps of anachris from trimmings of another tank, and i'm keeping an eye out for java ferns locally.
oxygen level is rather high, no co2 injection and a whisper filter, but thats the puffers requirement. laterite in sand/ gravel mix. lots of room for hidden pots.
any suggestions?

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Mangrove.
Chara, Ruppia(Widgeon grass can handle up to 4X saltwater density), a number of marsh plants but few that you can buy locally, you'd have to collect them. Some regular aquatic plants do okay. Water sprite might do well there.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Last edited:

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Hello? Everybody please note that the tank under discussion is not brackish. It has salt added, but not enough to be considered brackish.

Swords, Val, anacharis, watersprite, etc will all handle this level of salt if other nutrients and light are provided.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
That's fairly low still.
Quite a number of plants will make it.

Widgeon grass is still the king of salt tolerance.
1.140 specific gravity.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Huyzel

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Toronto Canada
Visit site
hmmm, interesting...
where can i purchase this Widgeon grass ?
i was thinking of getting some mangrove, if i can find it :(
and some java fern, and java moss for sure.
i also read somewhere that bamboo would work?

for my brackish tanks of course.
Huy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store