is my refugium design sound? diagram included

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Looks similar to mine, except my fuge is just a compartment in my 20gal sump. Is this a flow-through design? Is all the flow draining from the tank going through the fuge? I have maybe 1/3 of the flow through my sump directed through my fuge. How big is the main tank? If its decent sized and this is a straight pass-through without any redirect, something like 500-800gph through the fuge is too much IMO. More information por favor?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
are the grey circles bio-balls? If so id ditch those personally. Other than that it looks good, maybe throw the heater on the side instead of the bottom though, just so the macro algae can rest on the DSB.

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
Ok here is a revision removing the bioballs and replacing with a filter sock. My flow needs to be 300gph my tank is only 130liters

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
so is the large grey box on the left the return pump, or a skimmer? I'm guessing its a skimmer. Does the drain run to an external pump that returns the water to the display tank?

srossnz

AC Members
Aug 28, 2007
yeah i was going to have the skimmer and return pump in the left chamber. bare with me I'm a noob at this! hehe

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I would run the skimmer in the first section for a more consistent water level and that will let the skimmer run more efficiently .

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
run the skimmer off of the overflow maybe? I'm going to rig mine up that way at least.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Or maybe this is better:

I would run the skimmer in the first section for a more consistent water level and that will let the skimmer run more efficiently .

I would agree with Archer on this, run the skimmer on the inlet section where the filter sock is and leave just the return pump in the return. I see you have a tank connector on the left hand side of the tank, is that to connect the return pump too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store