Mystery Illness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
So one of my platies looked like it had ich (in my 29 gallon.) I wasn't using a heater in that tank at the time; it was in the QT tank and I'm too cheap to buy separate heaters. Anyway the ich dots were somewhat smaller than normal ich. The day I put the heater back in they were gone! What's with this?

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
Well, when my fishies got ich, the aquarium store near me told me I could medicate, OR turn the heat up to 82 F and add salt.
I did it and the ich has never returned- that was 8 weeks ago.
The "ich" doesn't like the salt or the higher temps, is my understanding.

The other thing is, it might just be in a different part of its life cycle- the "ich" I mean- I think the books say it needs to be treated for 2 weeks to make sure all the little (forget what they are called-but like- spores or something-baby ich)get killed of as well.
anyone else have thoughts on this?
J

Lady Friesian

AC Members
Sep 26, 2006
Yes, if it is ich, it should be treated for a while after the spots are no longer visible to completely eliminate the parasite. :) You can only see the life stage when it is encysted under the fish's skin, when it is not sensitive to treatment. You are actually treating the tiny freeswimming phase (whether you're using medications or heat and salt), not the white spots.

Glad to hear your fish is doing better, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store