QT Tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jmeltzer

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Pomona, NY
How does everyone set up their QT tanks?
I am planning on QTing for my next fish purchase and am looking for ideas.

I am planning on picking up a 10 gallon tank (or should this really be something larger?) with heater and hob filter.
This will be a bare bottom tank with a few pieces of PVC of different sizes so the fish have a place to hide and feel safe.

Does this tank need to cycle? I figured I would take water out of my main tank and use that for water changes every couple days.

Also, how long do you normally keep fish, inverts, and corals in QT before you move them to your main tank? I am also guessing that all will need to be aclimated to the main tank as well.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
bare bottom tank, pvc to hide in, heater, filter..mine has a light but it isn't needed. Mine is only running when in use and the filter media is kept in the sump until needed (and replaced)

How long I QT depends on what it is, where it has come from, and how it does in QT. Could be as little as one week, and possibly several. Average seems to be about 3-4

jmeltzer

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Pomona, NY
So basically you leave some filter media in your sump for your Qt needs.
Do you do water changes on the Qt tank, or is the cultured filter media enough?
If you do water changes, do you water from your display tank, or do you make new water?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

strangerdejavu

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Well, I'm no expert, but this is what I've been doing. I have a small whisper filter that I seed in my show tank for at least a week before putting it in the QT (no carbon). Only other things in the tank are a couple PVC elbows, heater and thermometer. I've been using new water that has been mixed for a couple days in my QT, let it sit for another couple of days before introducing fish. After fish have been added, I do water changes with new water every other or every 3rd day, about 1/3 tank change (it's a 10 gallon tank). I've also got ammonia nutralizer close by in case it appears to be on the rise.

Don't know if this is proper procedure, but the clowns I have in there are going on 2 weeks, and they still look and eat healthy!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So basically you leave some filter media in your sump for your Qt needs.
Do you do water changes on the Qt tank, or is the cultured filter media enough?
If you do water changes, do you water from your display tank, or do you make new water?

Thanks for the help.

Jason

I use display water except in the one case where I was dealing with ich. In that scenerio I had to do water changes every other day at the very least.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store