Serious Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Atif

AC Members
Oct 10, 2007
Lahore, Pakistan
My Aquarium consist of one very very small anemone, one butteryfly fish 4inch, one tang 3inch, 2 dominos, 2 demsils, 4 nemos fishes I put all this stuff on Sunday of this 11 nov, 2007. but today 13 nov i founf 2 small dominos and one demsil is missing and a days before the colour of the domino is become fade i think that they might be died but i dont found their bodies till now i am affraid for my other fishes but they seems to be fine but my butter fly is little damge a little upper from the mouth i think today but they are taking their feed in a proper manner. Please guide me what will i do in this sistuation and my water salinity is 10.22 i dont have the amonia and nitrate meter please guide if i have how it should be and i any one have the price idea for these item. I have bucket filter which i make on yesterday after putting the filiter media in it.

Atif

AC Members
Oct 10, 2007
Lahore, Pakistan
Thanks for such care

Thanks for you people concern. Well My tank is old almost 6 months and during that i have changed the water about 3 times 50% well initally i have anemone and i keep the alkalinity 10.21 and when i put all the fishes and i check the gravity and increase it 10.22 and tell you one thing that size of the stripe demsil and the domino demsil is very small i think that the reason they die because i feed them flake food and i also put the lettuce (salad leaf) but my tang is also taking the flake and he is not taking the salad leaf. Well my Aquarium size is 5 feet length, 2 feet height, 1 feet width

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
It would appear that you have a 75g (US) tank. Truthfully, 6 months is not old by any means for a sw tank, especially one containing an anemone. I hope that your specific gravity is more along the lines of 1.021 - 1.022, which would be an ok range to be in. However, many of us keep our reef tanks closer to 1.024 - 1.026. Regardless, that's a lot of fish to add into a marine tank all at once. Unfortunately, the sudden addition of that many fish probably caused an ammonia spike, which is a possible reason for some of your fish to look poor and / or die.

How much live rock do you have in the tank?
Do you have any supplemental filtration (protein skimmer, canister filter, wet/dry sump, etc.)?

If you don't have test kits, you should see if the local fish store near you will test your tank water for you. Alkalinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and calcium are pretty much the standard parameters that most of us have test kits for, with some also testing for magnesium as well.

I doubt that flake food is killing your fish. If you're overfeeding them flake food and there's a lot of excess, uneaten food in the tank, that could also be creating water quality problems resulting in poor fish health.

Do you have any sort of clean-up crew in your tank (snails, hermit crabs)?

A 50% water change can be quite a shock for any tank, especially a marine tank considering how sensitive some inhabitants are. If the temp, pH, specific gravity, etc. of the new water going into the tank are not right on with that of the water taken out of the tank, a 50% water change can provide a good shock to the system. I would recommend performing slightly smaller water changes a little more frequently, say 10% weekly or 20% every 2 weeks, and save the 50% water changes for emergency situations where it might be more necessary.

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
Did you not Read anything?...... before you started this tank.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In addition to what FSN has already said you could also have an aggression issue with the stocking. 4 clowns in a 75 with the addition of damsels could have added to stress. The lack of test kits and water change schedule leads me to guess that your water parameters could very well be out of line as well (ammonia present for instance). Was the tank every cycled before?

Oh and what kind of butterfly fish? Some are predatory towards anemones.

Atif

AC Members
Oct 10, 2007
Lahore, Pakistan
Thanks FSN and Grins. Well the water change of 50 % is approx 2 months before i put the fishes. I have one rock for 1.7 KG which i bring along the fishes. I have one canister filter and i have also checked the the Alkalinty is 10.22 well now the fishes seems little better and my anemone is disappered after putting the fishes he might be died well the 1 pcs ofbutter fly, 1pcs tang and 4 pcs nemo, 1 stripe demsil is okay. they taking the formula 1 flakes (ocean Nuterison) FSN i think it is really a amonia strike might and it is now settle down now and i also put the lettuce leaf daily they dont eat it but i keep on changing it every day. my friends please let me know the prices of amonia and other test kits you have any idea and anyway i will try to get some test kt from my LFS tomorow anyway if you people suggest me any thing please do so . And also let me know that how much time it will take to settle and i put my canster filter on 2 days before from today. if you need any detail please ask from me. Thanks

Atif

AC Members
Oct 10, 2007
Lahore, Pakistan
for the butter fly fish i think its raccoon anyway i will later also paste the picture over here for idea. And please also let me know if i found the anemone should i put it into the seprate aquraium or leave it in the same aqurium. waiting for you pleople reply. And yes i i have dead rock is about 7 pcs and their weight is almost about 20 - 25 KG and one live rock is 1.7 KG. As i heard that if you put one live rock in the system it turns the dead rock also in the live rock please advise me that should i increase the live rock or not. Sorry i dont have the clean-up crew in tank (snails, hermit crabs) please advise me what kind of clean up crew i should put in the tank and when.

Last edited:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Thanks FSN and Grins. Well the water change of 50 % is approx 2 months before i put the fishes.
50% is great at the end of your cycle but your tank will be easier to keep stable in my opinion if you perform 10-15% water changes on a weekly basis after that. In addition to removing toxins from the water, your salt mix will also replace vital minerals and nutrients.

I have one rock for 1.7 KG which i bring along the fishes.
Is this a live rock that you bought? Harvested? A base rock?

I have one canister filter
Are you doing maintenance on this weekly? I'm guessing maybe not?

and i have also checked the the Alkalinty is 10.22
What are you using to test alkalinity?

well now the fishes seems little better and my anemone is disappered after putting the fishes he might be died
if it has moved it isn't happy. If it has died it is polluting your tank and needs removed and carbon should be run at a minimum.

well the 1 pcs ofbutter fly, 1pcs tang and 4 pcs nemo, 1 stripe demsil is okay. they taking the formula 1 flakes (ocean Nuterison)
What kind of butterfly, tang and clownfish do you have?

FSN i think it is really a amonia strike might and it is now settle down now
I'd sure want to know the number of the ammonia. Not having tests for it and having the problems you describe points to troubles in the tank. If you still have ammonia issues, and it is likely that you do, the fish are being damaged even if you don't see signs of it. Drinking ammonia doesn't do their gills good just as it wouldn't for us.

and i also put the lettuce leaf daily they dont eat it but i keep on changing it every day.
I personally prefer to use marine greens. You can buy sheets of nori (seaweed) at your LFS or at a local asian market. If you opt to buy them at a market be sure it is plain and not seasoned.

my friends please let me know the prices of amonia and other test kits you have any idea and anyway i will try to get some test kt from my LFS tomorow anyway
Are you located in the states? If another country I won't be much help in prices. I prefer the Salifert and API test kits if that helps and I don't recommend the quick dip strip tests. I buy them locally but these online sites give you an idea of some of the pricing:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Testkits
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_AquariumPage~PageAlias~test_kits__index.html
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3578+4345

if you people suggest me any thing please do so . And also let me know that how much time it will take to settle and i put my canster filter on 2 days before from today. if you need any detail please ask from me. Thanks
First and foremost you need test kits to acess the immediate situation in the tank. Secondly I'd highly recommend doing some research on the hobby. Research via this site, wetwebmedia.com, books like Bob Fenner's The Conscientous Marine Aquarist, and your local reef club if you have one. You can use the links on this post to find one: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/blog.php?b=71

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store