Help... It's ICH!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

K-Gannon

I'm new at this
Nov 3, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
So I got a new yellow clown goby and it now has ich! Luckily it was QT'd! SO I added 20 drops of Nox-Ich to the tank (a 10g) as that's what the instructions said. Im not sure about the media in the filter though. It has carbon in it and Im thinking that that's not a good idea because it will take the medicine out of the water? And actually I was told to NEVER use carbon in a marine tank. Any advice on this would be good Im not quite sure where to go from here... I know it should stay in QT for 6 weeks! Just making sure Im on the right track here... and is it normal for the malachite to make the fish appear to be turning green? I guess it only makes sense that this is what would happen?:help: (Sorry about any spelling errors I'm goin really fast here!)
Kady

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Although I have no experience with Nox-Ich, you are right that carbon should be removed when using meds. Carbon isn't bad in a marine tank, but many go without it or just use it when needed (adding new corals, spawning, etc.)

Congrats on using a QT by the way! Although ich is never great it sure beats treating the one in QT versus having to let the entire display tank go fallow.

K-Gannon

I'm new at this
Nov 3, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
THANKS! Ok I'll take the carbon out.. should I just add sponge and filter wool then? In my display filter (aquaclear 50) I use sponge, BioMax and filter wool.so I have spong and filter wool around otherwise it'll have to wait til tomorrow. And is it normal for the water to be green and the fish to start going a little green?

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Malachite will turn the water green. Just follow the directions. Make sure that you do regular water changes in between treatments to control waste. You are on the right track. Keep up the good work. It is good to hear someone treating in a qt rather than asking for help in the display tank.

K-Gannon

I'm new at this
Nov 3, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Ya I figured better safe than sorry right?! And being new at this it would've been way more complicated to try and get rid of it from the display haha... Im glad the patience actually paid off as I normally have the patience of a 5 year old!

I'll update you all once I get back home to check on the little guy... wish me luck!

K-Gannon

I'm new at this
Nov 3, 2007
Kamloops, BC, Canada
So far so good my yellow clown goby is sad in the quarentine tank with his green water... So I'm jsut wondering if anyone has any experience with Nox-Ich because the instructions are a little vague! It says to put 2 drops per gallon in for 3 days straight so I don't know if I should be putting 20 drops in a day or just leave it with the 20 and hope for the best? Thanks for the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store