HELPMy FH got his upper lip ripped off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr Meaty

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
Southern Indiana
:help:So I recently bought 2 FH's. They are both between 4" and 6". When I first introduced the male to the female there was ALOT of aggression ie. chasing, lip locking etc...

Well the agression soon stopped and they began digging together and started getting along. Of course the lip locking continued everyonce and a while but nothing that really concerned me.

I guess I should have been concerned. Just yesterday I turn the lights on to my tank and notice that my males' upper lip has been ripped off:eek3:! Will this grow back? And are there any meds I could give to help the healing process?

Thanks ahead of time for all of your advice.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
increase the size and frequency of water changes. clean water is the most important ingredient in healing injuries. feed a little extra protein. have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial meds ready in case your fish starts to show signs of either one, but don't add medications unless you see symptoms starting to develop. could dose with melafix for a couple days if you have some. separate the fish with a divider or in separate tanks until the male is completely healed up again.

Mr Meaty

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
Southern Indiana
thanks I will try this. Anyone ? bump

fishfreak317

AC Members
Feb 18, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
salt also seems to help with healing wounds. if you do see fungi growing on the wound then yes, treat it with available anti-fungal remedy. it should grow back fine.

richos

AC Members
Sep 13, 2006
Gold coast, Australia
whenever any of my fish get damaged from fighting or hitting rocks etc. I give the tank a dose of melafix. Its a natural antiseptic, a bit like dabing detol or savlon on a cut on your hand.
Its not a cure all, but its a great first defence against infection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store