20L bristlenose project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kogo

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Well, I think I need to start a new project.
what I have available is a 20L drilled with 10g sump (sitting in the garage). and several bristlenose ready to go.

i have all equiptment neccasary for any stile setup in this tank including planted and high flow.

what I have in mind though is high flow low light barebottom with PVC caves and a planted sump. either java moss or wisteria could serve as filtration. i think the wysteria will grow faster, and provide excelent filtration. however, if i go with moss it will grow fairly fast and not require substrate in the sump.

any input on aquascape, procedures, creative filtration, Ph, inducing, conditioning, raising, etc...(especialy from those with experiance breeding plecos) is welcome.

im just in the planning stage right now, but hope to get started shortly after thanksgiving.

gar man

cookies!!!
Dec 31, 2008
council bluffs,IA
good luck with this project i hope to o the same but im just going to use hob filters and a 20gallon long with .5" gravel as substrate :)

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Few pieces of advice:

- HOBs will be fine- get 2 at least 150 gph each.
- While pvc will work, terra cotta or slate caves are better. Have 1 cave per fish spread out well. Males will claim one, fms will shelter in them as well.
- Substrate doesn't much matter, but add some wood and rocks. These are also good places for attaching ferns, mosses and anubias.
- They don't really need huge current to spawn.
- BN are the convicts of the pleco world, so have a growout tank or two ready once they start a spawning.
- Feed some protein such as frozen blood worms when they are old enough to spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store