Yet another of the endless "cycling" questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
I have finally filled my 75 gallon and am preparing to start cycling it. I have an established 10 gal. gold fish tank (with 1 goldfish). Would their be any issues with using some of the established media to cycle the 75 gal? even though the 75 is going to be planted/heated (not a goldfish tank)?

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Shouldnt be a problem at all... any little bit of established media helps quicken the cycle.

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
I appreciate your concern for my goldie. However, I do have a bigger tank to put him in, and I will be setting it up as soon as I get my $1200+ stack of medical bills paid off. I have had him for 2 years and when he needs something, I get it for him. I do not neglect my animals. Sadly, money is the ultimate dictator in situations like this. But rest assured, he has a bigger house waiting in the wings. :D

And thank you southpaw for that bit of reassurance. I was thinking it wouldn't be a problem, but I thought it better to ask than to assume.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
When you move some of that media over to the 75, ensure you feed it to prevent it from dieng off. And watch how much you move from the goldie tank, so you don't miss a mini cycle there.

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for the heads up. And feeding it would be with flakes? or some other decomposing item? (I have read the articles on cycling several times...the "flake" issue was one I am needing clarification on.)

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes fishie food would be good. A light fish load would also be okay, or some ammonia if you are doing a fishless cycle.

2weasel2

AC Members
Aug 24, 2007
What seemed to work for me was putting some gravel from the established tank in some stockings, put this in the filter and some just sitting in the tank. Fish food for ammonia... just drop a pinch in and watch it rot... This way got the tank fully cycled in 2 weeks.

WaterBug

AC Members
Sep 8, 2007
Thank you both! I think I have it now..I just want to be sure and do this the right way so as not to put any fish to harm. (contrary to the opinion of those at my lfs. >_<)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store