New Salt Tank Setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kat17

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
Fernandina Beach, FL
Hi there, I am new to this forum so please be patient as I may ask some stupid questions. Anyway, I have been a breeder hobbyist of freshwater fish for a long time, and now have just changed over to saltwater. Since it has been about 5 years since my last salt tank, I had a question for you all, so here goes: When can I put my different sand sifters into my newly set up aquarium and what are your recommendations for them? I have a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube with a mix of Live Sand (2 different kinds) and Haitian Live Rock. Please let me know, thanks.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
Hi there, I am new to this forum so please be patient as I may ask some stupid questions. Anyway, I have been a breeder hobbyist of freshwater fish for a long time, and now have just changed over to saltwater. Since it has been about 5 years since my last salt tank, I had a question for you all, so here goes: When can I put my different sand sifters into my newly set up aquarium and what are your recommendations for them? I have a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube with a mix of Live Sand (2 different kinds) and Haitian Live Rock. Please let me know, thanks.
They key really is that you have properly cycled the tank. Once you have done that and do the proper research on your chosen sand sifters then you could put them in after this. If they require a more mature tank for whatever reason then you would need to wait. How long has your tank been setup?

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Vorix hit the nail on the head. Your tank needs to have completed it's cycle first before you add anything. Can you explain your set up in more detail please. YOu have a 30 gallon - what kind of filtration and lighting, what are your current water parameters?

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM! The only dumb questions are the ones we forget to ask.

Kat17

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
Fernandina Beach, FL
Vorix hit the nail on the head. Your tank needs to have completed it's cycle first before you add anything. Can you explain your set up in more detail please. YOu have a 30 gallon - what kind of filtration and lighting, what are your current water parameters?

And WELCOME TO THE FORUM! The only dumb questions are the ones we forget to ask.
My tank has been cycling for 3 days now. I have a Whisper out of the tank filter system with the dual filtration. I have a powerhead plugged into a wave maker strip, my salinity right now is a little high at 1.029. I have your normal Coralife lighting, only 1 light strip. There is 35 lbs of live sand in there right now, and 25 lbs of live rock. My tank also sits in a sunny location in my Florida room. As for a refugium, I do not know the first thing about those. I will be getting some macro algae soon as well.

Kat17

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
Fernandina Beach, FL
Indirect Sunlight

Thanks for the information. It is indirect sun and has a window AC unit next to it. So, it does not get a great deal of sun around it. Thanks for the concern though.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Once you complete the cycle and get your water parameters in line you can add a sandsifter. I'd avoid the sandsifting stars in a 30g and look at the small to medium size sifting gobies. Some are more hardy than others and some dig deeper than others. I'd also make sure your rocks are very stable and preferrably directly on the bottom of the tank or a support rack versus on the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store