High Calcium, Bad?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
My calcium was a bit low 325ish, i addedd Kent Liquid Calcium, lightly per directions on back of bottle, after adding it i check the calcium the next day and its 600 @.@;;

the rest of my param's are as follow..

alk 4.2dkh
mg 1370
Ca 600
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
pH 8.3
Salinty 1.024-1.025

I Know my alk is low, im gonna pick up some suplement today for it.. Any suggestions on product?

Can high Ca hurt anything? i have mainly soft corals (shrooms, zoa's, xenia)
and 2 small frags of SPS which a friend gave me for free.

I just started measuring alk,mg and ca eventually i want to start SPS mainly.

Thanks guy

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Your CA and Alk are definitely way out of wack. I'd invest in a good 2 part solution versus using just a CA and or just an Alk solution in your case. It is too easy to get one number dangerously high if you don't have experience dosing (as you've found out). You don't just want each number to be in an optimal range but you want the two balanced.

Your mg is also high by the way. I'd shoot for 1260, maybe 1290.

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
My first question is, what salt do you use? How often and how much do you change?

Have you checked the Ca and Alk of the new water BEFORE you add to the tank during a water change?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
High calcium in and of itself isn't an issue. When it is coupled with a very low alkalinity, such as what you have, then you have a problem. If you have corals, you are effectively inhibiting calcification because you need both alkalinity and calcium ions to form coral skeleton (specifically bicarbonate and calcium, along with others that play less of a role).

Charlesr1958

Working DiveMaster
Oct 30, 2004
Philippines
www.chucksaddiction.com
I would strongly suggest that you do not try to fix the problem by adjusting one or the other and instead, just do a few large water changes to bring things back into balance and as Grins stated, a two part solution would serve you well.

Chuck

06scoob

AC Members
Jun 23, 2007
thanks for the advice everyone, any suggestions on a quality 2 part solution?

ill update my #'s when i get home and retest.

As far as what salt I use.. I buy RO water at my LFS mixed with salt, I will test it on my next waterchange (probably wednesday) before I put it in my tank. I'll also find out what brand it is. As far as the Mg, I've read alot that many people prefer highly or lower numbers for different reasons. (Posts on RC) What would a general "safe" range for most SPS?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
thanks for the advice everyone, any suggestions on a quality 2 part solution?

ill update my #'s when i get home and retest.

As far as what salt I use.. I buy RO water at my LFS mixed with salt, I will test it on my next waterchange (probably wednesday) before I put it in my tank. I'll also find out what brand it is. As far as the Mg, I've read alot that many people prefer highly or lower numbers for different reasons. (Posts on RC) What would a general "safe" range for most SPS?

I am using ReefPlenish. It is brand new and developed and owned by 2 sponsors and active members of my reef club. It has worked really well for me and they are offering free shipping during the launch period. http://coraldynamics.com/supplement.asp

With that said, you may very well want to buy something you can get locally.
I've heard good things about TwoLittleFishies C-Balance and Kent Marine Tech CB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store